Pros and Cons of East Versus West

richselina

Hi,

I'm interested to gain some views on whether it's better to live in and around Point Cook or Berwick/Mornington.

On the face of it houses seem more affordable in Point Cook than Berwick area and the commute into CBD seems quicker, but there has to be some drawbacks so interested to hear what they might be.

looking forward to some interesting discussions.

Rich

I'm in Maidstone/West Footscray inner-west, recently bought there and love it. I've heard Point Cook has gone down in terms of cleanliness, and the traffic can be truly horrific. A bad day commute home for me is 45 minutes, Point cook can touching 2 hours... If it's the West, try looking into Maidstone. We've been there 10 months when we bought here, townhouses are popping up left right and centre. It's no lie when I say about 8/9 have been built in the time we've been there just on our street, and new bars/restaurants are coming in. Mornington is nice, couldn't live there myself as it feels a long way from a city, but it depends on what you want. You've got decent beaches right on your doorstep.

We have friends that moved to the west because of work in the CBD, and now live in point cook. They don't really like the area much and commuting is often a nightmare, but because they have no kids they spend most weekends, travelling or away, so can live with it.

There are a lot of new builds & estates in the west so the infrastructure is still quite young and not ideal yet for everybody, plus the road links to the CBD over the west gate bridge can sometimes be a major bottleneck. The plus side is the prices are more affordable. I find it a little soulless in the west personally.

The east is more developed and has better infrastructure, but you pay the price of course. You can move further out towards Cranbourne, Berwick, Pakenham as you mention, and you will have a 45/60 minute commute (not much different from point cook I would imagine), but rental & house prices are lower than living closer to the city. rail links are generally quite good to the CBD as well in the East.

Berwick is very popular with Brits as are parts of Cranbourne, Narre Warren and I guess its a long commute but then I think of my daughter who lives in Brunswick she does not have a short commute because of the traffic and the chockers trams in the morning often cannot get on one or they sail past etc. At least on the train from far out you get a seat and can read the paper or a book. I used to like the commute for that.

You could also look at areas over on the beach which are quite popular these days. Such as Mordialloc, Aspendale, Edithvale, lots of Brits choosing these areas because of the beach the train line, the shopping and the good internet and services as the area is older.

I travel into the city in an hour from where I live on the Mornington Peninsula, freeway all the way from very close to where I live. Made a huge different, or I take the train from Somerville to Frankston and then Frankston to the city, or just drive and park in Frankston.

Read an article yesterday that more and more people are moving to the Peninsula only problem is we lot are not selling because we know when we are on a good wicket.

Join up with the life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this one and you will find out more from people who have moved recently which may be very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

As with anything, it really depends on what you're after. You can buy a huge McMansion in Point Cook or Sanctuary Lakes for the same price as a 2 bed townhouse in the inner suburbs. However, in my opinion (and again each to their own), it's a completely soul less place as everything is new there. New houses, new people, no character. Some people won't agree with my opinion, whilst others will.

I completely get why most people from the UK find Point Cook attractive when they see a five bed house beside the lake with health club access etc included. The best thing you can do is go and see it then make up your own mind.

Archived