Water birth

blossom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm only a bloke but water births have no proven benefits and are extremely dangerous and can be deadly so I think it would be reckless to consider one.

You'll be glad to know I had an appointment with another obstetrician this morning. I asked him his opinion on water births from

a drs point of view. Told him I'd read some negative reports etc.

He said that if your not of a high bmi, and you listen to your midwife then as far as he's concerned they are amazing. He said the risks come where people are so set on a water birth that if something isn't going well and the midwife wants them out the water they refuse. He said as long as I listen to my midwife (he asked who mine was and said she's great. She'll tell me straight lol) then it's perfectly safe. It also has the benefits of relaxing the mum and lowers your chance of tearing.

Second dr to recommend it, as well as midwives, so I'll stick with my plan thanks. ;-)

That's great to hear Blossom.

Best of luck, I'm sure you will have a wonderful birth.

Is this your first ?

It is indeed. :-o

It still doesn't feel real. Even being kicked constantly, having a stomach, having scans every four weeks etc. I just can't imagine there is a baby in there.

Guest littlesarah
Really? I reckon this is an urban myth, lol, it hurts like hell...take all the drugs they offer you Blossom...why suffer? They don't give you any credit for doing so (and the post natal midviwes are stingy as with the meds so get em while you can:)

In the public hospital where I had Baby Little I had to convince the midwives that no, I really didn't want/need more pain meds! Though I had a Caesar so had beenwritten up for Endone, but my friends who had normal delivery tell me they were offered paracetamol + ibuprofen every few hours.

I'd also add that the mode of delivery really doesn't seem so important once you have the baby - one of my friends was really quite badly affected by having to have an emergency Caesar at the time (feelings of failure, etc), but now she says she wishes she'd focussed a bit less on how baby arrived. A few women I've met clearly didn't understand that 'elective' means 'planned' (not necessarily 'I don't want to push') & I got a few raised eyebrows from those mums. Though now they understand that the usual reason for planned surgical delivery is medical & only to ensure safety of mum and/or bub. Anyhoo, even just 6 months later we're all more interested in just enjoying baby before back to work!