shipping over a bicycle

PeterJa

Clean it. Wheels off, seat off, pedals off, handlebars off, anything protruding get that off too. Cable-tie everything to the frame tightly.

Bubble-wrap it.

Make a box out of any old cardboard you can get your hands on. It's not difficult and it should look ok when you are finished. Tape all the joints and corners with heavy duty packing tape, the brown stuff. :-)

Weigh it, measure it. Get postage quotes from as many shippers as you can for comparison.

I don't know whether I'd bother. Unless it's a really good bike and seat they are very particular here about kids bike seats and anything to do with safety. Has to meet Australian standards and there are a lot of things, even things that are OK in the UK, that wouldn't be allowed here.

There are some good deals on new and second hand bikes and kids seats come in all sorts of designs and shapes for different bikes. Had great fun with bikes and the bike seat on the back when our kids were young. Great way to get about and see a lot of stuff you don't see from the car.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a bike case, Parcel2Go will do it for £98. I just sent a 25kgs suitcase and used LuggageMule although they just seem to be the middlemen and they use Parcel2Go. So cut them out and you can send it for £98. Took just 4 days to get there - well impressed.

I took my road bike with me on holiday a few years back and the expected it at customs. I was well prepared and as long as it's clean including tyres and wheels they are fine about it. They took a quick look at mine and could see I made a real effort to ensure it was clean.

Clean it. Wheels off, seat off, pedals off, handlebars off, anything protruding get that off too. Cable-tie everything to the frame tightly.

Bubble-wrap it.

Make a box out of any old cardboard you can get your hands on. It's not difficult and it should look ok when you are finished. Tape all the joints and corners with heavy duty packing tape, the brown stuff. :-)

Weigh it, measure it. Get postage quotes from as many shippers as you can for comparison.

What about the Dust Caps, break cables, reflectors, go-fast strips, chain, ball barings, gear levers, spokes, brake blocks, and handle bar strapping. Do they come off too ? Bloody hell he only wants to move it from one place to another - might as well melt it down PJ !

What about the Dust Caps, break cables, reflectors, go-fast strips, chain, ball barings, gear levers, spokes, brake blocks, and handle bar strapping. Do they come off too ? Bloody hell he only wants to move it from one place to another - might as well melt it down PJ !

Bloody hell - looks like you're the one having a meltdown!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived