Notary solicitor??

Rose11

Hi everyone, just a quick question if you don't mind answering for me.

I had finally got myself into gear and gathered everything we needed for vetassess, booked an appointment with a solicitor and she wouldn't certify them for me as she thinks it should be a notary solicitor that does it?

I have done a search on here but I'm sure that a normal solicitor has certified other members documents - is that right?? :err:

Thanks for looking.

Certain solicitors are also notaries public. For example, here in Scotland a solicitor must petition the Court of Session to apply to register as a Notary Public. It's therefore important to check with them when you inquire.

Saying that, I'd expect it to be explicitly stated on their website if they are.

PS - You can contact your local court but I found waiting times to be in excess of 6 weeks (as it is free).

Hi everyone, just a quick question if you don't mind answering for me.

I had finally got myself into gear and gathered everything we needed for vetassess, booked an appointment with a solicitor and she wouldn't certify them for me as she thinks it should be a notary solicitor that does it?

I have done a search on here but I'm sure that a normal solicitor has certified other members documents - is that right?? :err:

Thanks for looking.

She obviously doesn't want the business. I got my docs certified by a solicitor for ACS, paid £2.50 per copy.

I got lucky, took all my docs into a local solicitors office with the thought I may be able to leave them, the solicitor got me a cup of tea and signed them all there and then all for £10, I don't know what notary solicitor is but my docs were accepted

Thank you all. Managed to speak to a solicitor that I know, she seemed to think it may need to be certified by a notary but asked me to double check and that she would sign for me if i thought it would be enough. So I will take it all down tomorrow and hope they get accepted.

Can someone just confirm also if you wouldn't mind, that it's only black and white copies that need certifying, not the colour copies?? Even photographs?

Thankyou in advance.

Hi there

My husband and I are working towards a move to Melbourne this winter. He's a physio and to complete his registration with AHPRA, he needed to have his documents for the registration form signed by a notary (previously, for other parts of the process, a solicitor's signature on other documents was fine). The form stipulated either notary public or justice of the peace. We had considered chancing it with a solicitor, but if gets knocked back, it could cost us another 6 weeks and we didn't want to risk it.

Today, our local notary signed and stamped all of his documents today for £84 - with a proper posh stamp and everything. You can find a notary at http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/find-a-notary

I think this is where language is a barrier.

In Australia, a Justice of the Peace is an ordinary person who has got approval from the state government to certify documents. They are not magistrates or anything grand. However, in Britain, a Justice of the Peace is another word for a Magistrate.

In some parts of the world, a Notary Public is a junior legal clerk who is able to wield a rubber stamp to certify copies and take statements. However, in Britain, a Notary is a special breed of solicitor who has a special legal seal embosser.

Basically, a regular solicitor is more than enough to sign copies. You could probably get away with pharmacists or police or others who would be able to do it in Australia, but I think most people prefer not to test this out in case it doesn't work.

Archived