186 Visa Work Conditions

jwchattell

Hi I am applying for the 186 perm resident visa through the temporary residents transition system and I have read conflicting things about the rules regarding employment.

I know that the employer has to state that there is a position of employment available for at least 2 years... and I have read in some places that I have to have the intension of staying in my current employment for the next 2 years also.... How strict are they on this does anyone know? As i'm pretty sure my "intensions" could change once I have residency if a better position becomes available.... would they cancel the visa if I started to work somewhere else?

If you were to leave your employer very soon after getting your 186 visa, it's possible your employer could complain to DIBP that you never intended to remain with them for 2 years and have therefore responded fraudulently on your application and ask that they cancel your visa. Whether DIBP would take action on this is unknown. I'd suggest remaining at least a few months to avoid any issues.

Thanks Guys. I don't plan on leaving as soon as I get the visa only if something better comes along (which hopefully it does as driving 180k's a day to and from work for another 2 years might kill me!!) ... I work for family friends so them complaining wouldn't be a problem just wouldn't want the visa being taken away if something better comes along :-)