40 days!! what to take

jen140977

Hi all, movecube came today to check out access to road!

Having a complete breakdown!, must have packed boxes at least 7 times, can anyone reassure me and give me a list of what they took with them.

We are going in furnished rented, not taking any furniture with us as nothing we had was of any value. So far I have lots of photos of kids, wedding dress, books, etc, mainly sentimental things I could never replace, oh and my one luxury, my juicer machine!!

What has everyone else packed?

Thanks , jen

It really depends on what you want to keep/take with you.

If you are not taking furniture then its personal effects and if you have a large movecube, once you've thrown out the crap (you know the stuff we all collect and keep that we never use/need or even like) you should be able to fill it well. Even a medium could fit it probably, if you are careful.

I'd say to take all your kitchen stuff, its a pain to replace the other end. If you've a furnished rental to see you through then you should be able to manage till it arrives. It will also save you the job of having to go out and buy it at a later date. I think I got all my kitchen items in 3 large tea chests. I brought the kettle, ditched the toaster. Very glad too as the same kettle here is a lot more expensive :wideeyed: Brought pots and pans, baking dishes, tins etc. I'd also say take all your bedding and duvets, towels, clothes and stuff like that. Be aware that Aus beds are a slightly different size so UK fitted sheets may be a squeeze on Aus beds but the rest will be fine. Its blooming pricey here to buy and I've yet to see anything of decent style or quality that I'd buy tbh. I have duck down duvets and good pillows and am glad I shipped them. We live in a state that gets colder winters and they have been much appreciated in the colder weather and in the more poorly insulated housing.

For the rest we shipped my iMac, kids bike (was in good condition and worth shipping), kids toys, books (after we had sorted through and gotten rid of a heap), CD's (again sorted through), DVD's and Playstation. I bought a few pairs of kids shoes that will be grown in to. Very glad I did this. Sketchers for kids here are scary price ($80) and I paid £12 a pair before we left. Think it was worth it. Same with some Clarks trainers for kids. I bought some in the sale, £10-15 a pair (£30 full price). Can't get them here for much less than $90 a pair. In fact, I get my kids feet measured in David Jones or Myer where they sell Clarks shoes and then order from the UK site as they have a far better range of shoes I like for kids. Or hubby buys them on trips back to the UK. Its no biggie for us as he has room in his bag. I am also glad I shipped all my shoes and boots and that I stocked up on FitFlops in the sale before coming over. I paid £25 or so a pair that way. Not even when on sale do they come close to that price here.

Don't ship aerosols, food or Xmas decs that look 'real' as in berries, pine cones etc or are real pine cones etc. Stick to tinsel, plastic baubles and the like. Take batteries out of stuff when shipping. It can happen they will leak in transit and destroy whatever it is they are inside. Don't ship wicker unless you want to have it treated. Load the iffy stuff they will want to check last so its easy for them to get to and so they don't unpack and go through more stuff (and charge you for it). Shoes should be clean and boxed. They checked one shoe box and the Xmas decs. Passed fine.

We are leaving uk for maroochydore 26th sep. Also heading for furnished accom when we arrive, we are taking 20 boxes of photos, kids certificates drawings ect which u cant replace, a box of tools, my juicer and grinder, cds dvd collection.My study books and papers. Kids are allowed one box of toys each ha and im taking my bed and matress as newly bought and im fussy when it comes to sleeping and 2 tvs which srent old either so felt was worth taking. Cost us 1134 door to door

Just hope 20 boxes is enough lol

I brought my washing machine, tumbler, larder style fridge, bikes, all kitchen cupboard items, literally everything else in the house other than furniture. Curtains, cushions, bedding, towels, most of my clothes and shoes. Worked out about 40 boxes, still had space in cube! Luckily my cube didnt get searched

• 4 weeks later...

How much are cubes???? Just had a few quotes for what we would be taking ( 4 seater sofa, footstool, wingback armchair, footstool, coffee table, 2 bicycles, and roughly 20 boxes) for a shared container, and quotes all around the £1.100 - £1.300 mark!! Which is not bad!! But what about a cube???

How much are cubes???? Just had a few quotes for what we would be taking ( 4 seater sofa, footstool, wingback armchair, footstool, coffee table, 2 bicycles, and roughly 20 boxes) for a shared container, and quotes all around the £1.100 - £1.300 mark!! Which is not bad!! But what about a cube???

We are leaving uk for maroochydore 26th sep. Also heading for furnished accom when we arrive, we are taking 20 boxes of photos, kids certificates drawings ect which u cant replace, a box of tools, my juicer and grinder, cds dvd collection.My study books and papers. Kids are allowed one box of toys each ha and im taking my bed and matress as newly bought and im fussy when it comes to sleeping and 2 tvs which srent old either so felt was worth taking. Cost us 1134 door to door

Just hope 20 boxes is enough lol

How is everyone sorting rentals from here??? My husband won't actually have work till we get out there and he can find work, so I didn't even think of being able to secure a rental from here other than holiday accommodation .....

Take as much as you can squeeze into your cube. Australia is becoming incredibly expensive and replacing items is frustrating when you had perfectly decent stuff in UK. All garden equipment MUST be washed down or they'll probably confiscate at customs. Our xmas pine wreaths were ripped apart and destroyed!

Bring a few toys in suitcases

You'll also need to bring with you:

birth, marriage certificates and get multiple photocopies that you can get certified over here (at chemist or police station)

school reports for kids

immunisation records for kids (some schools insist on seeing these before enrolling)

references for rentals (either from UK estate agents OR from neighbours who can say you were lovely to live near)

references from employers

transcripts / college statements of any qualifications you hold, Oz employers don't tend to go on "i have 4 yrs experience" they like to see the paperwork.

good luck!

• 1 month later...

Were 4 weeks in now. We have a house, a car, my daughter has been in school 2 weeks and settled straight away. Banks sorted internet and phones set up.......were done haha we stayed 2 weeks in a holiday house which we booked before we left. In the 2 weeks we viewed 3 houses, applyed for them all just incase as there was alot of competition. Got accepted for 2 of them and picked the best one for us. Been here 2 weeks and yes it was unfurnished so had to start again which was a pain but if uou go for furnished your choice is very limited! If I had of known this prior to leaving I would have brought my entire house contents as silly getting rid of stuff to replace them again and theres so many little bits you dont evennthink about.

My daughters school was pretty straight forward. We were told there were no spaces but persisted by visiting the school twice in person to show we were serious,tuesday were giving a appointment to meet the head teacher and she started the next day.

All is going well!