UK Temporary Car Insurance

Bromney

I have been resident in Australia since Dec 2012 on a PR and converted my UK issued drivers licence to a full Australian licence. I am going to the UK on holiday and want to get temporary cover on my sisters car, should I state I have an Aussie licence even though it was originally issued by the UK?

Does anyone recommend any insurer? I've just looked at DailyInsure and am being quoted 122 (GBP) for 11 days cover on a Nissan Micra!! I used to insure my more powerful Golf for 350 (GBP) for the entire year, fully comprehensive!

I looked at this as im due to fly out to Oz 1st week of September and my UK car insurance was due for renewal 2nd week of August and didn't want to renew for the sake of a few weeks. The temp car insurance prices are extortionate - you are better off buying a regular policy and then cancelling - the cancellation charges are only £50 and you get refunded on the remainder of your policy (or if you take out a monthly policy you just pay for the month plus the charge). Works out a lot cheaper!

emj1986 is 100% correct and this is what we are doing with my wifes car insurance

S

Don't you have to affirm that you are resident in UK and hold a UK driving licence? So going on holiday could make that not a viable option. To the OP can your sister not add you as a named driver on her policy as it's her car

I have been resident in Australia since Dec 2012 on a PR and converted my UK issued drivers licence to a full Australian licence. I am going to the UK on holiday and want to get temporary cover on my sisters car, should I state I have an Aussie licence even though it was originally issued by the UK?

Does anyone recommend any insurer? I've just looked at DailyInsure and am being quoted 122 (GBP) for 11 days cover on a Nissan Micra!! I used to insure my more powerful Golf for 350 (GBP) for the entire year, fully comprehensive!

We found our Oz licence held no weight at all if taking insurance privately rather than through a car hire company at Heathrow. Please, please get your international licence before going as that was our mistake, not doing so!

Archived