Geelong Suburbs

TheOptimist

In Geelong itself there are some nice areas with very nice old houses that are very desirable. If you are living here already just driving around will give you an idea of the areas and what they are like and whether you would like them. If you have not arrived its really better to wait until you do as most people seem to change their mind on where to live once they have a look around and speak to the locals.

Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this forum, there are quite a few members who live in the area you are looking at and they will be able to assist you.

Hi stranger!

The suburbs you're looking for would be Highton (older area, near the 'village'), Newtown (down around the river end of 'Pako'), Belmont (again, near the river), Geelong West (near 'Pako'), South Geelong, East Geelong, Rippleside and Drumcondra (but the last 2 aren't that near to cafe's etc).

If it was a contest, Highton and Newtown would be clear finalists IMO.

Hope that helps:wink:

Hi stranger!

The suburbs you're looking for would be Highton (older area, near the 'village'), Newtown (down around the river end of 'Pako'), Belmont (again, near the river), Geelong West (near 'Pako'), South Geelong, East Geelong, Rippleside and Drumcondra (but the last 2 aren't that near to cafe's etc).

If it was a contest, Highton and Newtown would be clear finalists IMO.

Hope that helps:wink:

Hi to you too stranger!

That is exceptionally helpful, thank you.

How is life treating you in Geelong?

Life is good thanks. Geelong is a lovely place, bit sleepy mind. Drop us a PM if you want a chat
\

Glad to hear. And I can handle sleepy, just not extinct like the suburb I live in at the moment! Seems to be a healthy stock of houses on the market in the suburbs you suggested- and the prices are very good compared with Melbourne. Now just need to get my head around an epic commute to Melbourne eastern inner suburbs, and if I can convince myself its possible it could be an option.

Take care

I comute to richmond, I really would recommend Rippleside if you are comuting that far. It would be a killer to do it from Highton. I hate the commute, but at least I can wake up at 7 and be on the 7:28 train to Melbourne.. Having to go any distance to a train station would just make it unworkable I think.

Edited by wolvesaussie

I comute to richmond, I really would recommend Rippleside if you are comuting that far. It would be a killer to do it from Highton. I hate the commute, but at least I can wake up at 7 and be on the 7:28 train to Melbourne.. Having to go any distance to a train station would just make it unworkable I think.

Thanks, that's good advice. I work in Hawthorn. Its a bit of a killer isn't it!

why do u want to move to geelong?

It isn't a decision made. Just a possibility. We are unable to live where we would like and are priced out of the market in 'nice' suburbs in Melbourne, so decided that Geelong was worth seriously considering. Especially on discovering that on paper my conmute to work would be no further than it is now from outer Melbourne.

Really even crossing city? I used to live greensbor and on paper it looks about 1 hour for both but the crossing melb and getting back to the vline at night is very frustrating. geelong is great I just need a geelong or cbd job

On paper the vline train takes same time as my metro train, only diffetence would be needing to get to Hawthorn from Southern Cross rather than Flinders Street which is a bit of a faff. Though realise on paper and in reality are very different sometimes. Do you find the Vline reliable?

We're heading to Geelong at the weekend to check out some of the places you guys have suggested so cheers for the advice - appreciated.

at the moment its not great as they are always doing track works but apparently once it is finished the service will be loads better. Trains normally leave on time but are delayed on the way by either slower metro trains or track works. You will get used to the made platform dash at Southern cross when the train never seems to come into or leave from the same platform :)

Hmm maybe you will be ok then... i cant sleep on the train, but loads of people do and the vline train is far more comfortable than the Metro, its like an English Train with a Toilet which really helps after a few after work beers :). I think if I slept all the way I would be happy :)

A loo and everything! :jiggy:

So spent the day in Geelong. Lovely place. The beautiful weather today may have enhanced things mind you.

We explored many of the suburbs mentioned in this thread, and by far our favourite was Geelong West, followed by Rippleside. So now to weigh things up and do some serious thinking.