Beware of 'telstra' scam

starlight7

In the last couple of days we have had several calls from a man who says he is from Telstra and was ringing about our internet connection and a hacker problem. He has a strong accent. I rang Telstra to check and they checked their logs and said it was a scam and not to give any details whatsoever, including your telecom account numbers, address etc. They are very persistent and quite rude and keep ringing back if you hang up. I asked around and several others in the Melbourne suburbs have had the same calls. Barwestaards!

I had one a couple of weeks ago. Apparently I had a virus on my windows computer, but the lady from Microsoft Tech Support would be able to sort it out for me remotely. I recognised it as a scam, so I just left the phone on the table still connected and got on with what I was doing.

I feel sorry for people who aren't as tech savvy, who get stung by scams like these. The '419' scams are pretty easy to spot a mile off, but some of these ones claiming to be from tech support aren't quite as easy, I don't think.

In the last couple of days we have had several calls from a man who says he is from Telstra and was ringing about our internet connection and a hacker problem.

The government Scamwatch website is very useful. It has information about this particular scam

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1134129

More scams here. You can also sign up to receive an email alert when they become aware of a new scam:

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/tag/SCAMwatchRadar

I have had several of these calls and kept hanging up but Last time I got this call I told them i did not own a computer. Fingers crossed they have not bothered me since. I have reported it to Scamwatch and to Telstra. Unfortunately the calls originate outside Australia and everyone seems powerless to stop them or take any action'

Another scam doing the rounds are cold callers who tell you they are affiliated to Telstra and can save you money on your next bill. These are trying to get your details from you.

Archived