Just activated PR, now looking at options for mum

JEM44

Hi we have just spent three weeks in Oz to activate our PR in Western Australia and have a good look around before our intended move around January 2016 (assuming we sell our house by then).

Im im looking to find out as much info as I can about options my mum would have for coming out with us.

Does the parent visas still exist and if so what is the best option.

We had originally thought she could apply after we had residency for 2 years, but does that mean from now as we have activated, or from when we actually move in 18 months time? Also which visa would it be and how does the immigration have some options that parents can apply from inside Australia? Does that mean she could visit, apply and just stay while she waits a decision? I assumed she would just come every 6 months on a tourist visa?

Also, so, I spoke to a lady out in Oz whose mum had moved years ago and she had paid approx $28k to buy into Medicare but she wasn't sure if this was part of the visa fee or additional?..

My my mum and I rely on each other heavily (she looks after my kids while my hubby and I work) so moving without her will be hard, I only have one other sibling who lives in the UK.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated as I am starting from scratch with this.

thanks

laura

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Laura

Unfortunately the parent visas have just changed. The only option now for migrants wishing to bring their parents to Australia is the "contributory parent" visa – at a cost of $47,120, plus a bond of $10,000 to cover any welfare payments made over a 10-year period. The total is $105,905 to bring two parents to Australia.

Have a look at this thread http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread.html

Your mother would not be able to lodge her application until you have been in Australia for two years, so that is 3.5 years away and then it would probably take about 12-18 months for it to be granted. Until that time, there is a parents tourist visa which lasts for five years, although individual trips would allow her to stay in the country for 12 out of every 18 months. Costs are as above, it is a very expensive visa.

I don't think there is an onshore option any more, would have to go and check that.

I guess if a parent came on a tourist visa, I don't know (but think) that they would only be eligible for emergency reciprocal care - so would have to have quite good travel insurance, also what would they live on? if receiving a pension they may be worse off as the exchange rates change.

Hi, we are in the same boat. We are planning to activate our PR in WA,and then to move next year. I too must bring my mother to Perth, I was thinking about a tourist visa, she could stay up to 12 months.

Unless the large fees can be paid, a parent visa is no longer an option. Yes there are long stay tourist visas but they are only tourist visas and will require parent to be outside of AUS for extended periods of time still. Plus there will be things like medical cover to consider and other expenses and possible implications of being out of their home country for extended periods.

Your mother would not be able to lodge her application until you have been in Australia for two years, so that is 3.5 years away and then it would probably take about 12-18 months for it to be granted. Until that time, there is a parents tourist visa which lasts for five years, although individual trips would allow her to stay in the country for 12 out of every 18 months. Costs are as above, it is a very expensive visa.

I don't think there is an onshore option any more, would have to go and check that.

Yes, the onshore version is the Aged Contributory Parent visa but the parent needs to be over 65 to be able to apply onshore. The costs are roughly the same.

Archived