Sydney Suburb advice - East & South?

themyers

Hi again. We've look at Northern Beaches / Chatswood etc, but now it looks like my son might end up at school in Bondi, which means we might look to live Eastern / Southern suburbs, which could cut down my comment time to Ultimo.

I know that the Bronte/Clovelly etc get good reviews, but can anyone advise me on other good family neighbourhoods? Thank you!

Hi again. We've look at Northern Beaches / Chatswood etc, but now it looks like my son might end up at school in Bondi, which means we might look to live Eastern / Southern suburbs, which could cut down my comment time to Ultimo.

I know that the Bronte/Clovelly etc get good reviews, but can anyone advise me on other good family neighbourhoods? Thank you!

Wouldn't your son "end up" at whatever school you choose? I would put location before school, on the basis that there are good schools throughout the greater Sydney area.

Still Eastern / Southern suburbs may indeed be better for the commute to work. They are all nice areas, I don't think you need to limit yourself to one or two, look in the whole area. I think budget might be the main factor which differentiates, if you are looking for a house $1,000 won't go far in Eastern Suburbs. I found a couple as below, they look pleasant enough actually, but quite small.

http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/bronte/?adid=9131104&sp=1

http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/clovelly/?adid=9177670&sp=2

South is good with great schools. I live near Cronulla and there is definitely a community feel here. Domain will tell you the prices of rentals which don't stay on the market long here. Better education website will rate the schools by naplan results.

S

X

• 1 month later...
South is good with great schools. I live near Cronulla and there is definitely a community feel here. Domain will tell you the prices of rentals which don't stay on the market long here. Better education website will rate the schools by naplan results.

S

X

@Scozzie - We are looking into sydney, and visa has been applied for - we should be moving mid-way through 2015 - do you mind me asking advice?

Where is good in Cronulla? Can you access the beach quite easily?

and what kind of public transport is there to the CBD / Ultimo etc

Thanks!

How old is your son? Old enough to commute to school on his own? Or would you want to drive him to school?

Do you want a house, or is an appartment OK too?

Where in Bondi would he be going to school - Bondi Beach or Bondi Junction? Is the school walking distance from Bondi Junction with its railway station and bus interchange?

If you can afford to live within walking distance of his school, you would probably be reasonably close to Bondi Junction anyway, and you can get the train to Central and walk to Ultimo, depending on where you are working? ABC, UTS, Sydney Technical College???

You could live in my suburb - Surry Hills - and be able to walk to Ultimo and he could get train to Bondi Jn from Central - five stops - Town Hall, Martin Place, Kings Cross, Edgecliff, Bondi Jn. Perhaps around Edgecliff might be an option? Or Randwick? Clovelly and Bronte are both nice - my favourite beaches - but Bondi Beach has much more facilities, but Hell to park, unless you have a parking space of course.

Personally, I hate commuting, and I would always look for the most convenient and closest place to live. You could always live in Ultimo come to that. It depends on both your needs, you and your son. Search on www.domain.com.au for homes in your price range. I already looked for Surry Hills and there seem to be a few places that might be suitable.

@Scozzie - We are looking into sydney, and visa has been applied for - we should be moving mid-way through 2015 - do you mind me asking advice?

Where is good in Cronulla? Can you access the beach quite easily?

and what kind of public transport is there to the CBD / Ultimo etc

Thanks!

If you live in Cronulla itself, then you are almost certainly walking distance to the beach. The train to the city takes about an hour, and I think the trains on that line carry on to Bondi Jn so there is no need to change at Central or Town Hall. You can walk to Ultimo through the tunnel under Central Railway, assuming your workplace is close to George St? - UTS, Sydney Technical College, the ABC, etc.

You may get a cheaper place in Cronulla than around Bondi/Bronte/Clovelly but your travel time will increase and your train fares.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MRMR,

I'll PM you with more detail. Lambethlad you are correct. It is very expensive for what you get but you are at least near to some culture. I've been elsewhere and as much as they are nice areas I have just felt that something was missing. I am not one for a big city but I do need to have access to good schools, hospitals, museums and inspirational architecture. I do love the Opera House too!

S x

Archived