Looking for anyone who has gone through visa app process (457 to 186) for advice....

millers

Hi

We've been in Aus for 2.5 years and my employer has sponsored me so that I can get permament residency on a 186 visa. I'm just looking for advice on the following if anyone can help....

• How do I know if I have submitted all the documents required? Is this only when my case officer makes contact...?
  • When should we get medicals?
  • How do I find out list of approved places for medicals? The link on immigration website directs me to a list of countries if you are outside Aus but I can't find a list of ones in Australia

Thanks in advance

Dave

I went by the document checklist on the DIBP website and found it gave a good summary of the required documents. I did my medicals before submitting my application so that when I hit submit, I was including everything that was required to make a decision on my application. You now do the medicals through Bupa. If you do the medicals before you apply, you complete the My Health Declarations and then follow the steps from there.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/health-requirements/arranging-health-exam.htm

I went by the document checklist on the DIBP website and found it gave a good summary of the required documents. I did my medicals before submitting my application so that when I hit submit, I was including everything that was required to make a decision on my application. You now do the medicals through Bupa. If you do the medicals before you apply, you complete the My Health Declarations and then follow the steps from there.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/health-requirements/arranging-health-exam.htm

Thanks Maggie. Thanks for the link to medicals - I had looked here but must have missed it or it has just been updated on 28 July....

I have submitted everything I believe we need except the medicals, which we will now arrange asap. The link to the document checklist wouldn't work so I had to find a link on the front page to find what I did and didn't need to submit so hopefully got it all right.

How long did your decision take once you'd put everything in?

Did you have any contact at all from the case officer, or was it simply a case of "here's your visa?"

Thanks

D:confused:

Thanks Maggie. Thanks for the link to medicals - I had looked here but must have missed it or it has just been updated on 28 July....

I have submitted everything I believe we need except the medicals, which we will now arrange asap. The link to the document checklist wouldn't work so I had to find a link on the front page to find what I did and didn't need to submit so hopefully got it all right.

How long did your decision take once you'd put everything in?

Did you have any contact at all from the case officer, or was it simply a case of "here's your visa?"

Thanks

D:confused:

You do not need to do medicals until you are specifically asked to do so, in an email from your CO. Some people choose to do them up front, but that is not the given advice.

There are two reasons why people are better off waiting, one isn't relevant to you as you are already here, but for many applicants it shortens the length of time they have to reach Australia if they do medicals too soon. The other reason not to do them until asked, is because if there is something wrong with the rest of the application, you could spend a lot of money on medicals for the family only for it all to go to waste anyway.

If you are confident that the rest of your application requires merely a rubber stamp, then go ahead and do medicals. Otherwise, I would follow the official guidance, which is to wait until asked.

The document checklist I used was just what was listed in the first page under Visa Applicants, so it wasn't a separate document or link. I lodged my application and nomination in early Oct. and had my visa approved the beginning of December, so just under 2 months. A colleague recently lodged early May and had his visa granted beginning of August so just under 3 months. I never heard from my CO until I received my visa.

You do not need to do medicals until you are specifically asked to do so, in an email from your CO. Some people choose to do them up front, but that is not the given advice.

There are two reasons why people are better off waiting, one isn't relevant to you as you are already here, but for many applicants it shortens the length of time they have to reach Australia if they do medicals too soon. The other reason not to do them until asked, is because if there is something wrong with the rest of the application, you could spend a lot of money on medicals for the family only for it all to go to waste anyway.

If you are confident that the rest of your application requires merely a rubber stamp, then go ahead and do medicals. Otherwise, I would follow the official guidance, which is to wait until asked.

Actually, it states in booklet 5 that if you are applying onshore you should front load your medicals. Onshore applicants are advised to do them upfront.

I did the same as Maggie, front loaded everything as per the list and instructions for onshore applicants. Had no contact from the CO apart from notification of visa issue.

Actually, it states in booklet 5 that if you are applying onshore you should front load your medicals. Onshore applicants are advised to do them upfront.

I did the same as Maggie, front loaded everything as per the list and instructions for onshore applicants. Had no contact from the CO apart from notification of visa issue.

So if visa is not in order for any other reason, you lose your money spent on medicals as well. Umm great.

So if visa is not in order for any other reason, you lose your money spent on medicals as well. Umm great.

I'm just stating that for 186 onshore applicants they do ask you to front load your medicals, and that is the advice for onshore applicants. You stated in your previous post that this is not the given advice... but I merely want to address that point as being incorrect in these circumstances.

Archived