Why Oz

Guest Tim

I just thought as you do, before deciding on Australia to migrate to did any one else think about other countries??

NZ sounded good - but...too quiet,...Canada sounded perfect but too cold!

Never been to any of these (yet) but I always have the 3 year itch!.... :shock:

Oz had everythingwhen I sarted the visa process at the time - great weather, great coastline, cheaper houses andhuge ammounts of work.Never been happier - just spent 3 weeks back in Glasgow and couldn't wait to get back here!

Therefore why Oz? :D:D

Guest spray21

My other two choices would be France and Canada. Have a fair bit of experience of France, so Oz is somewhere new and exciting - also hotter! Canada gets far too cold, although it is beautiful. Could have got visas for any of them but Oz seems the most exciting - we're after an adventure in the sun. Plus they are actively recruiting for the occupations that myself & OH are in, and we know people who have recently gone out there and loved it.

However, once the itch sets in again and Oz isn't new any more I would love to live in France or Canada in the future.

Hiya

We had decided on Spain as an easy escape from this country and bought some land there ,started to attempt learning the langage (nightmare !!),then had a property built 2 yrs ago ,it was on a flight over i read about Oz recruiting skilled professions ,and thought what the hell AND no language to learn ,jumped in with both feet on our arrival back to the u.k and sat filling Garys skills into on-line assesments.One of the companys rang the next day and here we are 13mth later with a skilled ind visa ,no house as from thurs ,no jobs from fri and leaving party end of Oct before we head to Brisbane, oh ,,and trying to sell a house in Spain,,!!!

Theres no going back !!

Cal x

Guest Fraser

My wife is one of a set of twins.

Her twin sister came to Oz on a working Visa in 1984, met an Aussie Guy, married hime, and never went home. The elastic between the twins got a bit stretched, ..and so we came out on an extended Holiday in 1991...

When we got back to the UK my wife asked what I had thought of Australia and did we want to put in our papers...

I was in a good job, settled, ...just comfortable I suppose, and not yet ready for change...Well...she worked on me! :roll:

A short while later I had a reall bummer of a day at work...and tat was it... forms out, signed, sent.

In retrospect, one of the best moves I have ever made. Regrets? Not a single one! 8)

Guest scott&lisa

Hubby wanted to start the visa application process in 2002, and looked into NZ, Oz and Canada. After an initial consultation we decided on Oz but I backed out before the process even began - too happy in my comfort zone.

After having a baby and so seeing our life from a very different perspective (and plenty of time at home to think about things) I changed my mind and we started the application in Sept 2004.

We wanted a change in lifestyle and Oz fitted the bill perfectly- plus hopefully a slightly rosier outlook for our children. So here we are two years later living in Victoria!!

(hubby also says it was the furthest away he could get from the Mother in Law!! :wink: )

Lisa.

Hubby and I took our first holiday together as a couple in 1989 to USA, and it's then we had a yearning to live abroad. Like most, career, children and building a secure future took over and the years had passed before I knew it and we'd done nothing about it. Been to the US a few times and whilst it's great for a holiday I couldn't imagine me settling there. Went to Aus last year and just felt so comfortable there..... work seemed to have gone a bit stale for both of us ... so off the visa application went and here we are waiting to move.

Ali

Guest The.Colebecks

Thought about Spain - close to the UK for frequent visits back 'home' but much better climate and cheaper to live - decided against it as it was close to the UK!! Also the kids would have had to content with learning a new language as well as adapting to life in another country.

Thought about Canada but was too cold in the winter for me, personally. I think Ash & the kids would have enjoyed the winters more than me as they are all very sporty and would no doubt have taken to winter sports as they have all other sports. I understand Canada is even harder to get into than Oz, too?!

Thought about NZ but I have a friend who's lived there for 28 years now and if she could she'd move to Oz tomorrow as NZ is a little too quite for her - unfortunately she married a dairy farmer who runs his family's farm so there is little chance they will ever move over to Oz.

In the end we unanimously decided on Oz and cannot wait to get there and live the life!

Karen

I'm watching the news and thought about this thread.

I have to say I don't feel safe here in the UK anymore. Now I realise this may just be a feeling that you get as you get older, having a strong need to protect my children I have a gut instinct that this move ( the move to Australia that is ) is the best thing I can offer my childrens futures.

Australia has:

- a great climate

- it's English speaking.... (As is the USA)

....News from America is not exactly happy at the moment, is it?

....Canada is cold! It gets cold enough here!

I think I will feel safer in Australia. 8)

Guest spray21

Hmmmm.... interesting you say that Beki. I can totally see where you're coming from - as a childless (so far!) person it has crossed my mind that I may not be as safe in Aus - to begin with at least. I have no automatic habit of avoiding long grass or trees that might contain spiders and snakes, I will have zero local knowledge about what areas to avoid at night, and there are all those poisonous animals all over the place hiding in your car and shoes etc!! There is also crime in Oz same as anywhere - what about that guy killed in the outback? In the outback there is noone there to hear you scream!

Naturally I am still going, but got to be a bit careful I think.

Guest Fraser
.....There is also crime in Oz same as anywhere - what about that guy killed in the outback? In the outback there is noone there to hear you scream!

Out of interest... See below. Sydney and Canberra are listed..and come out pretty well...given that Sydney is Australias biggest city. We all come out better than London, Dublin, Belfast or Edinburgh. There are some real shockers though... Washington DC for example.

Homicides per 100,000 population of the city (Source - Internet)

London 2.36

Belfast 5.23

Edinburgh 2.15

Vienna 1.64

Brussels 2.67

Lefkosia 0.13

Prague 4.28

Copenhagen 3.43

Tallinn 11.23

Helsinki 2.16

Paris 2.21

Berlin 3.23

Athens 1.49

Budapest 2.98

Dublin 2.37

Rome97 1.22

Amsterdam 5.37

Oslo 1.92

Warsaw 5.49

Lisbon 1.99

Moscow 18.20

Ljubljana 1.45

Madrid 3.12

Stockholm 2.67

Berne 3.61

Geneva 1.98

Canberra 0.64

Sydney 1.70

Ottawa 1.04

Tokyo 1.17

Wellington 2.10

Pretoria 27.47

New York 9.38

Washington DC 50.82

Guest stuckinblighty
.....There is also crime in Oz same as anywhere - what about that guy killed in the outback? In the outback there is noone there to hear you scream!

Out of interest... See below. Sydney and Canberra are listed..and come out pretty well...given that Sydney is Australias biggest city. We all come out better than London, Dublin, Belfast or Edinburgh. There are some real shockers though... Washington DC for example.

Homicides per 100,000 population of the city (Source - Internet)

London 2.36

Belfast 5.23

Edinburgh 2.15

Vienna 1.64

Brussels 2.67

Lefkosia 0.13

Prague 4.28

Copenhagen 3.43

Tallinn 11.23

Helsinki 2.16

Paris 2.21

Berlin 3.23

Athens 1.49

Budapest 2.98

Dublin 2.37

Rome97 1.22

Amsterdam 5.37

Oslo 1.92

Warsaw 5.49

Lisbon 1.99

Moscow 18.20

Ljubljana 1.45

Madrid 3.12

Stockholm 2.67

Berne 3.61

Geneva 1.98

Canberra 0.64

Sydney 1.70

Ottawa 1.04

Tokyo 1.17

Wellington 2.10

Pretoria 27.47

New York 9.38

Washington DC 50.82

great post,thanks

Looks like i'll be giving South Africa a miss then :shock:

regards,Lee

Guest spray21

well...... 2.3 (london) and 1.7 (sydney) both round to 2 whole people. I agree though that Australia compares favourably to other cities - from a practical point of view, I am less bothered about what happens to the other 99 out of 100 people and much more concerned about my own prospects! So in reality the stats don't mean a lot for individuals and we all have to be cautious about what risks we take ourself.

Interesting post though!

I visited rellies in Oz when I was 19 and spent 2 very happy months in Melbourne. I was sad to come home but was a third of the way through my teaching degree.

Time went by and, although I still had that 'I wish I was there' feeling I never did anything about it. I met my husband, got a teaching job and settled into life here. That niggly feeling never went away but Michael wasn't really interested (he had no longing to get on a plane to anywhere, never mind oz).

However, for various reasons, as we approached our first wedding anniversary Michael said completely out of the blue those magic words: 'Let's emigrate to Australia' Of course he wanted to visit first to make sure and so we did, 3 weeks spent (again with rellies) in Melbourne and Queensland helped him fall in love with oz just as I had nearly 10 years ago. Both of us were very sad to leave at the end of our holiday.

Since then we have been busy trying to get there and although we have a way to go, we know if it happens it will be worth it.

If we don't make it to oz, New Zealand is always an option and sneak in through the back door (so to speak!!)

:)

Archived