The Greyhound Racing Industry

HappyHeart

Just wanted to highlight a cause close to my heart...greyhound racing is often promoted as a good life for the dogs, most people realise that is not the case but are not aware of the numbers that don't make it to adoption programmes..there is some interest in a new racing venue in Bunbury..thankfully public opinion seems to be against it...please take time to read the links, sign the petition and educate yourselves on this 'sport'

http://www.bunburymail.com.au/story/2467617/bid-for-bunbury-greyhound-racing-track-sparks-petition/?cs=12

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.change.org%2Fen-GB%2Fpetitions%2Fsouth-west-greyhound-racing-association-please-do-not-bring-greyhound-racing-to-bunbury-and-the-southwest%3Frecruiter%3D48130868%26utm_campaign%3Dshare_facebook_mobile%26utm_medium%3Dfacebook%26utm_source%3Dshare_petition&h=mAQERDabE

If anyone is interested in adopting a beautiful gentle hound please contact http://www.greyhoundangels.com/

Edited by HappyHeart

Guest The Pom Queen

People just don't realise what happens to these poor greyhounds once they have finished racing. A lot are classed as not suitable for homes as they have lived in kennels all their life but they can be rehabilitated with time and patience.

People just don't realise what happens to these poor greyhounds once they have finished racing. A lot are classed as not suitable for homes as they have lived in kennels all their life but they can be rehabilitated with time and patience.

Greyhound angels in WA is unlike other organisation in that they have a 'no kill' policy. Anyone looking for a low maintenance, loyal and loving pet can't g far wrong with a greyhound. We are adding to our menagerie after our hols....

but if they ban greyhound racing what will they do with all the rabbits .........? :animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver:

but if they ban greyhound racing what will they do with all the rabbits .........? :animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver::animal-beaver:

Its a mechanical hare:rolleyes:

Glad you are highlighting this cause! As I type I'm being cuddled by one of my 2 ex racers. Both came straight from kennels into our home age 1 and 3 ( pretty early retirement age for a dog that can live 12-14yrs! ). They quickly learned about house training and we had no problems with understanding life in a home. They are lazy buggers who hate going out in the rain/wind/cold or heat! Very very placid in the house/garden/on lead. Some can live with cats and small furries with the right testing and introduction - much like any rescue dog. There will always be a greyhound in my home for as long as I'm able to.

Can I just add that the muzzle law applicable in some states is ridiculous! Certainly some dogs are better muzzled due to prey drive but that applies to dogs of ALL breeds - it depends on the individual temperament. Mine live happily with a fluffy bedlington terrier and have met many a yappy chihuahua up close and just ignored it. It would be awful to have to muzzle them.