Best time to move to Sydney at the end of year

Clankaroo

Hi all,

What would be the best time to move to Sydney at the end of the year / beginning of next year ?

I guess it's not a good idea to move in December/January with the holidays and the higher costs to rent short term accomodations and less jobs on the market but maybe I'm wrong..

I was thinking about end January..

What's your idea ?

Thanks

We moved in early February, but had OH's visa application not been delayed in being submitted, we would have moved just after Christmas/early in the new year. I had done lots of research in to finding temporary holiday accommodation for our first few weeks there, and I actually couldn't find anything when I was looking for that time of year, so in a way it was a relief that his visa was delayed.

Having said that, our move was all a bit last minute. Had I had more time to plan I would probably have had more success in finding somewhere to stay, although given the time of year the cost may have been prohibitive.

I am not sure about the job situation as OH had a job to come to, but it would make sense that companies are not really hiring over the Christmas period. OH works in retail, so he works right through Christmas, but quite a large number of my friends/their husbands have one to two weeks off as their companies/departments shut down.

We are planning to move to Sydney in February. To do the move before Xmas and avoid jobs and rental market slow down, would probably mean moving in October, which is too soon for me. I'd like to hope that in February, everything will be picking up speed again after Xmas. I'm basing this on the assumption that the Xmas period is the same as in the UK - ie, a bad time to look for work and jobs!

Don't be too scared. Whenever I walk past the hostels near me, they always seem to be full of happy young people. Join the YHA before you leave, and maybe book a week or two from the day you arrive. There is a private hostel called 'Bounce' which I think has a good reputation, on Chalmers Street, alongside Central railway. The two YHA hostels I'm thinking of are also near Central, one actually uses old railway carriages as dorms - I've walked along one of the platforms looking at them. These are all easy walking distance from the station, and you can get a train from inside the International terminal at the airport to Central.

Spend the first week or two getting over your jet lag, exploring the city, which is walking distance from Central, and trains, buses, and trams go all over the city. I'm sure you will make some friends if you are staying in a dorm? Even I did, at the age of 55, staying at the YHA at Central. That was five years ago, and I'm still friends with one of the young guys I met there, who was on his first night in OZ.

1. photo.jpgSee photos

data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,UGcSKNDfg_63r0ZL_K5ma_Z5GTtmB-kVvU-HSJqbDSvfb990RI6gmPKYRLydSu4kaiAe8cSV8w1y_eJ4Wlwi8yv34utyLydi5t0GX22ZZcxodv_VofGRo4LCIxM

3. Bounce Sydney
    Directions
    Write a review
    Follow

4. Address: 28 Chalmers St, Surry Hills NSW 2010
    Phone:(02) 9281 2222
    Hotel class: 3 stars

1. Reviews

2. 4.410 Google reviews

1. Loading...

1. [h=3]Sydney Central YHA | Most popular YHA backpacker hostel[/h]

1. http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney.../sydney-central-backpackers-host...

1. Cached

1. Rating: 86% - ‎7,827 votes

2. High quality Sydney hostel located next to Central Station. Beds from AUD$35. This Sydney YHA has a pool, sauna and rooftop with city views. Book online.
  3. [TABLE=class: nrgt]
    [TR=class: mslg _sI]
    [TD][h=3]Specials[/h]www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney-surrounds/sydney-central.../specials/Book one of our special offers at Sydney Central YHA Hostel.

[/TD]
    [TD][h=3]Groups[/h]www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/...central.../group-accommodation-bookings/Book your next group stay at Sydney Central YHA. This safe ...

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR=class: mslg]
    [TD][h=3]Map[/h]www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney-surrounds/sydney-central.../map/Book your stay at Sydney Central YHA, and be close to the action ...

[/TD]
    [TD][h=3]Reviews[/h]www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney.../sydney-central.../customer-reviews/Read real-life hostel reviews and ratings of our Sydney Central ...

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD=colspan: 2]More results from yha.com.au »
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[h=3]Sydney Railway Square YHA | Central & Fun backpacker ...[/h]www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney-surrounds/railway-square/

1. Rating: 90% - ‎3,250 votes

2. Sydney' s most laid back hostel, Railway Square YHA is right next to Central Station and Chinatown. You can even sleep in a train carriage!

1. [h=3]Hostels & Backpackers | YHA Australia | Quality, fun ...[/h]

1. http://www.yha.com.au/

1. Cached

YHA - Backpacker hostels, membership and travel in Australia. ... New Zealand · Europe · Asia; Africa; North America; South America; Central America.4.0

23 Google reviews · Write a review · Google+ page - $132[TABLE=class: ts intrlu]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]11 Rawson Pl, Sydney NSW 2000

(02) 9218 9000[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[*]

1. [h=3]Sydney Surrounds - YHA Australia[/h]

1. http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney-surrounds/

1. Cached

Book your stay at YHA's Sydney Backpackers Hostel, Sydney Central YHA, and ... Sydney's most laid back hostel, Railway Square YHA adjoins Central Station ...

1. [h=3]Sydney Central YHA - TripAdvisor[/h]

1. http://www.tripadvisor.com.au › ... › Hostels Sydney

1. Cached

1. Rating: 4 - ‎387 reviews - ‎Price range: $40 - $143

2. Sydney Central YHA, Sydney: See 387 traveller reviews, 50 candid photos, and great deals for Sydney Central YHA, ranked #18 of 133 Speciality lodging in

Archived