Advice needed please!

JonCooper2

Hi all,

I imagine and hope a few people on here have been in a similar predicament. I'm a duel UK/Aus citizen, born in the UK and wife born in Australia. We're looking to move back to the UK, have no kids and she's currently under 31. Is it best to go for the Youth visa, or spousal? Spousal is more permanent, but seems as though there's a lot more running around and things to prove. We'll be married almost 10 years by the time we get there.

It seems as though applying for an under 31 youth visa, would potentially get blocked as we're married? Anyone heard of that before?

Help, advice and anything to point us in the right direction is really appreciated.

Thanks

Looks like being married is ok as it says that other family members have to get visas in their own right. Downside looks like it's only for 2 years with no extension. Does she have any UK born parents (ideally) or grandparents? If so then Citizenship by descent/Ancestry visa respectively would be better options. If not, then does she have an EU born parent or grandparent from whom she could get an EU passport? Failing all that, then the spouse visa would have more longevity but considerably harder to achieve.

Looks like being married is ok as it says that other family members have to get visas in their own right. Downside looks like it's only for 2 years with no extension. Does she have any UK born parents (ideally) or grandparents? If so then Citizenship by descent/Ancestry visa respectively would be better options. If not, then does she have an EU born parent or grandparent from whom she could get an EU passport? Failing all that, then the spouse visa would have more longevity but considerably harder to achieve.

Thanks for the quick advice! Yeah it seems a bit of a nightmare, she does have Dutch heritage, but I think it's a bit too much hassle potentially to get the right forms/certificate. Just going to have to do the 2 year youth visa, then apply for spousal once there. I've been through the australian PR and citizenship process, it can't be too much worse!!

When you say youth visa do you mean like a WHV for the UK? Double check but I thought you could not apply for a partner visa off the back of this visa. I thought they closed that option a few years ago bit I may be wrong.

And afaik partner visa applications need to be made prior to entry to the UK. Read the small print carefully to be sure. It's far from an easy thing to do. Much more difficult than UK partners moving to Aus.

When you say youth visa do you mean like a WHV for the UK? Double check but I thought you could not apply for a partner visa off the back of this visa. I thought they closed that option a few years ago bit I may be wrong.

And afaik partner visa applications need to be made prior to entry to the UK. Read the small print carefully to be sure. It's far from an easy thing to do. Much more difficult than UK partners moving to Aus.

No, I think you are right! No extension after the Youth Visa.

Archived