Please help: 457 > Permanent Residency

Logrey

Hi guys,

I hope somebody can help me here.

My wife and I have been living and working in Sydney since March 2012 via being sponsored by her employer on an e457 4 year visa. At the start of the year her boss applied to nominate us for a 186 visa to become permanent residents. We are both from Scotland and are UK citizens.

However, her boss has just been told he is unable to nominate us until November next year. As you can imagine, we are both quite upset as this is a long time.

My question is:

- Is there any other way around this?

- Can we apply ourselves?

- Can the company I work for take up the sponsorship (I have been with them for over 2 years)?

I hope somebody can help us or offer some advice.

Thank you in advance.

- Is there any other way around this? For ENS? No, as long as the boss says no. That's where people call 457 as slavery visa

- Can we apply ourselves? If you or your wife meet all the requirements for 189 and/or 190 yes.

- Can the company I work for take up the sponsorship (I have been with them for over 2 years)? Depends on. Are you primary holder of 457 or just a dependant? Only primary holder can get sponsored. Also if you and your wife works in the same place, I can't see any reason the boss can't sponsor your wife but yourself.

Thanks guys.

I'm looking into 189 visa just now. She is the creative director at a hair salon and I'm a designer.

As for my company taking up the visa, I'm actually defacto on her visa as she works in a different place.

Hi guys,

I hope somebody can help me here.

My wife and I have been living and working in Sydney since March 2012 via being sponsored by her employer on an e457 4 year visa. At the start of the year her boss applied to nominate us for a 186 visa to become permanent residents. We are both from Scotland and are UK citizens.

However, her boss has just been told he is unable to nominate us until November next year. As you can imagine, we are both quite upset as this is a long time.

My question is:

- Is there any other way around this?

- Can we apply ourselves?

- Can the company I work for take up the sponsorship (I have been with them for over 2 years)?

I hope somebody can help us or offer some advice.

Thank you in advance.

I think it is more that they don't want to sponsor her until November, rather than they cannot. There would be no particular reason otherwise why they would have to wait until November.

Your alternatives are:

- If either of you qualify for a skilled migrant visa you could apply for that, it is the 189 or 190 visa. I am pretty sure that hairdresser would need state sponsorship though.

- If your occupation is on the CSOL, your employer is willing and criteria is met then yes your company could sponsor you for the 186 visa. You would not be able to go through the transition stream though as your company did not sponsor you for the 457, you would have to go through the direct entry stream which means you need a skills assessment - can you pass one of those?

I agree with pumpkin.

Either the boss wants to keep you with the company as long as possible on a 457 to stop your partner leaving once PR has been obtained or they are being given the wrong information.

Unless something has changed, you can apply for PR after 2 years. (We did the same a few years back)

Apparently, it is because they have nominated too many people this year or something along those lines. I am trying to get clarification as we speak.

Well they are entitled to have their policies. It won't change anything though, your options are as above, or of course, just waiting until November.

Thanks for all your help guys. I really do appreciate it.

I'm looking at the 186 DNS just now. I'm a graphic designer so just trying to work out the appropriate skills test for that.

My work have said that they will do what they can and sponsor me however they can.

Thanks for all your help guys. I really do appreciate it.

I'm looking at the 186 DNS just now. I'm a graphic designer so just trying to work out the appropriate skills test for that.

My work have said that they will do what they can and sponsor me however they can.

Well this occupation is skills assessed by Vetassess which fortunately has a nice clear website. You need a degree and then either 1 or 3 years experience depending upon whether your degree is relevant or not.

http://www.vetassess.com.au/Skills-Assessment-for-Migration/General-Occupations/Nominate-an-Occupation

Apparently, it is because they have nominated too many people this year or something along those lines. I am trying to get clarification as we speak.

Unless this is their internal policy, it is not correct.

There is no limit on how many people a company can nominate for Permanent Residency over any specific time frame.

So it turns out they have some kind of sanction placed upon them until November 2015. I do not know the specifics of why. I think I will probably contact a Migration Agent for some advice. Any suggestions of good ones?

Its such a pain this has happened but hopefully I can find as positive solution.

Guest hoffer
I thought they could sponsor you for PR anytime but if before 2 years you had to do a skills assessment.

I am about to start this process and if your salary is high enough and depending on the role a skills assessment can be avoided before 2 years

So it turns out they have some kind of sanction placed upon them until November 2015. I do not know the specifics of why. I think I will probably contact a Migration Agent for some advice. Any suggestions of good ones?

Its such a pain this has happened but hopefully I can find as positive solution.

Well it is what it is regarding your OH's employer and their position on sponsorship. I thought your employer had said they will sponsor you through the direct entry stream of the 186? Is that a problem now?

Archived