Cruise ship workers and police checks

Telle

Is anyone else in the same boat (pardon the pun). I have spent the last 6/10 years working for a cruise company and according to the DIAC website I will need to get police checks not only from my home country (UK) but also from every authority for the countries that the vessels were registered under, so this will be Bahamas, Barbados, Panama and a few more. Has anyone else been asked by a CO to send these or did a letter of good standing from your company suffice?

I have got the letter from the company as suggested by my migration agent, but just wondered if anyone else is in this situation.

:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry Telle I can't help. It sounds nightmares though.

What a wonderful job to have, as long as you don't get sea sick like me lol.

I have worked on cruise ships but I submitted only from the country of permanent residence (which is my home country) during the time I was employed on ships. It does not make sense to provide police certificates from all the countries where the ships were registered. I do not believe that a CO will ask that. Has he/she asked that?

Are you claiming experience related to the positons that you held on the ships?

This is a recent change to the requirements, I worked on cruise ships previously and want asked for this when I applied last year, but other people subsequently have. Check this thread here for some more info, http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/144466-ships-master-ships-officer-marine-pilot-15.html

The requirement is ridiculous because flag states will not issue police clearances for the time served onboard, because it's unlikely you even set foot in that country. Crimes onboard are generally dealt with at the next or nearest coastal state. It can be hard enough getting police clearances for countries you have lived in, never mind ones you haven't.

We are applying for the 189 visa, but only using my husbands skills (points) to get in, I am just listed as spouse.

CaptainR, it does seem ridiculous and I know exactly what you are saying about setting foot in the country and which country deals with criminal activities. It was just something that was flagged on the DIAC website and also our immigration agent has warned me that it could be asked for.

Did you ever get a response from Australian immigration to the response you sent from the foreign police check?

We lodged our vise in June and still waiting for a CO, so I have no idea as to whether they will require more information. I shall respond to this post when I know what else they require from me in relation to the "working on a cruise ship".

Archived