Best bank in England for withdrawals and transfers etc into australia / internatinoally

RoscoeIndie

Hey Guys

I will need to open a bank in Australia, but I also need to keep a British bank account, I wanted to know if anyone had any experience on which offered the best value in terms of making transfers into foreign accounts, and also charges when using cash machines in Australia or abroad?

Thanks

Lucy

Guest The Pom Queen

I have moved your thread to money and finance. You can open an account with NAB online which is free of charge, no monthly fees like the other big 4 banks. I would also use Moneycorp, they have an arrangement with NAB so that not only do you get a better exchange rate but it won't cost you any fees to send your money nor will the Australian bank (NAB) charge you for receiving.

I've opened an account with Citibank for that precise reason. If you have an account in the UK and an account in Australia, you can transfer money between them for no charge. Plus their exchange rates are better than any of the big four Australian banks.

That's interesting to know. I'm such a stick in the mud - the sort of customer the banks love! I've stuck with ANZ since I took a mortgage out with them in the 80's, also a shareholder. I did chop and change in England, Halifax, then Lloyds, then, finally, Smile (Co-op bank.) I've been using my Smile Debit card to pay for various services, and spend my UK income, but each time I do pay a fee for FX. And the last one, admittedly on a bill for 3,000 pounds was 82 quid.

We use HiFX rather than transfer between banks. Much better rates and no fees. Can make a difference by a fair whack when transferring larger sums.

Archived