hornsby?

Hi, we are still in th uk at the moment but have secured a job (sponcership) based in hornsby, wage of around 70,000 and car provided. I have a wife 29, little boy 2 and one on the way.we should be arriving b4 th end of the year. We would like to be within about 30 mins of work but in a reasonabley priced and family friendly area. Can anyone makes some suggestions and maybe give us an idea of the rental cost. Thanks gareth and zoe.

I think that you would need to focus on Hornsby itself, possibly the Hills District, but unless you have another source of income the places further south like St Ives, Pymble will be out of reach. Are you coming on a 457 visa? If so, just a word of caution, that this is a pretty low salary for greater Sydney and being on the 457 visa will mean no child benefit etc. Your take home pay would be just over $1,000 a week and you will probably need to spend half of this on rent. Check out www.domain.com.au for those areas I mentioned though.

Hi thanks for th reply, i realize that the income is low and that we may stugle at first. I would like to live further north away from the sydney boom. Is central coast regarded as exclusive/out of my reach?

You need to be a long way out of Sydney to avoid high prices. Yes it will get cheaper as you head up to the Central Coast, but you mentioned you wanted to be within 30 minutes of work, whereas it would be a good hour or more from Central Coast to Hornsby.

I don't think you would do much better than look on a map maybe follow the train lines up from Hornsby, through Berowra and then check out domain.com.au for prices.

You mention it would be a struggle "at first", what do you think will change to make this less of a struggle in due course? Are you expecting a pay increase or do you have a permanent visa application on the go as well? Don't get caught up in the romance of this, being skint in a foreign country is no fun. BY way of comparison, I think $70k on a 457 in Sydney (and you are in greater Sydney) is a bit like living on no more than GBP 30k in London.

You need to be a long way out of Sydney to avoid high prices. Yes it will get cheaper as you head up to the Central Coast, but you mentioned you wanted to be within 30 minutes of work, whereas it would be a good hour or more from Central Coast to Hornsby.

I don't think you would do much better than look on a map maybe follow the train lines up from Hornsby, through Berowra and then check out domain.com.au for prices.

You mention it would be a struggle "at first", what do you think will change to make this less of a struggle in due course? Are you expecting a pay increase or do you have a permanent visa application on the go as well? Don't get caught up in the romance of this, being skint in a foreign country is no fun. BY way of comparison, I think $70k on a 457 in Sydney (and you are in greater Sydney) is a bit like living on no more than GBP 30k in London.

Im on a 6 month probation and a pay increase should be on the cards i hav it in writing that my pay will increase to better match my ability. Permanent residency will be applied for as soon as poss and my wife should be looking for work in the future. We also hav close family in kiama if we need support. We also have nothing to lose but time and a small amount of money as i wont be selling my home in england for at least 2 year and my curreny employer has granted me 1 years unpaid leave so that we hav the security in england if we are unhappy in oz.

I grew up in hornsby heights, waninga road to be exact. I still think it is the most magical place for children, surrounded by virgin bushland, a stones through from the banks of crosslands. Heaven. Enjoy. Wage is a little low, but I think it is still affordable there.

Hi thanks for th reply, i realize that the income is low and that we may stugle at first. I would like to live further north away from the sydney boom. Is central coast regarded as exclusive/out of my reach?

I grew up on the Central Coast and think it's a wonderful place to live. With beaches galore, mountains, bush and rainforest right on your doorstep, I couldn't think of anywhere else I'd rather be. :-) It covers a large area so rental prices vary a lot depending on proximity to rail / motorway, beaches, sea views etc. It depends what you are after and how much you want to spend. I shouldn't think it's out of your reach though. :-)

It used to take me around 30 minutes to drive to Hornsby from Point Clare although if you were living at the northern end of the Coast it could take an hour. I have family living at Hamlyn Terrace and they drive to Thornleigh and Hornsby for work. It takes 30-60 minutes, depending on the time of day.

Hi,

My husband grew up in Berowra Heights - it's about 20 minutes from Hornsby - it's a really nice suburb, and much more affordable than the average Sydney suburb. Berowra/Berowra Heights has good schools, nice bush walks and is a really friendly place. You can also get the train straight into Hornsby and /or the city, and you're not too far from the Central Coast beaches. Check out the suburbs Berowra Heights, Berowra, Mount Colah and Mount Kuring-Gai.

Good luck with the search.

• 3 months later...

Hi we have just moved from UK to Berowra. I agree it's affordable (although prices on the increase) and a lovely place for young families. It's about a 10-15 min commute by car to Hornsby. Not sure where you live but unless you are travelling into the CBD traffic is nowhere near as bad as UK even during rush hour. Gosford is a great place we know people who live there. Near beaches but enough happening. About 30-40 min commute to Hornsby.

Archived