Leaving country on 457 but have applied for 820 visa

Gregman13

Hi,

I am leaving my job at the end of the month to return to the UK for approx 3 months. I have applied for a 820 partner visa one month ago. I called immigration to find out would I have any problem returning to Australia in late October or do I have to get a Bridging Visa B. Immigration told me that when you finish your job on a 457 you get 90 days to apply for a new visa or get another sponsor and the fact that I have applied for a partner visa means that my 457 will still be valid.

This means that I can come in and out of the country as per 457 conditions but if I want to work again I will have to get a new sponsor.

Can anyone confirm the validity of the answer I got? I am aware and from previous experiences that immigration's advice can be dodgy at times.

Thanks

You would've been given a bridging visa A when you applied for the 820, but it does not come into effect until your 457 visa expires. The issue that you're going to face is that the BVA contains the same condition as your 457 visa which stipulates that you must not cease work for more than 90 days, so if your 457 is cancelled due to your lack of work, your BVA will be cancelled too. If this happens while you're inside Australia you would become unlawful.

I'd suggest taking professional advice from a MARA registered agent before embarking on this path. Previous advice on this forum regarding this particular scenario has been wildly inaccurate from some members.

All the best,

You would've been given a bridging visa A when you applied for the 820, but it does not come into effect until your 457 visa expires. The issue that you're going to face is that the BVA contains the same condition as your 457 visa which stipulates that you must not cease work for more than 90 days, so if your 457 is cancelled due to your lack of work, your BVA will be cancelled too. If this happens while you're inside Australia you would become unlawful.

I'd suggest taking professional advice from a MARA registered agent before embarking on this path. Previous advice on this forum regarding this particular scenario has been wildly inaccurate from some members.

All the best,

Thanks Adam I think I will call in to Department of Immigration offices in West Perth to get some kind of confirmation. I don't want to get stopped coming back in to Australia.

Thanks Adam I think I will call in to Department of Immigration offices in West Perth to get some kind of confirmation. I don't want to get stopped coming back in to Australia.

I'd say call a decent agent first before calling immi for clarification.

But he wouldn't be OK if his 457 visa was cancelled in Australia

Is there any reason my 457 would be cancelled within the 90 days?

I have got in touh with an agent and they said I should be fine if I come back in within the 90 days.

Archived