Starting point for citizenship eligibility

datstheone

After nearly 6 years of long distance relationship splitting time between UK and Australia my Australian partner and I are planning to move to Australia and set up home together in her house in Sydney. I have just had a CO appointed for my partner visa application, submitted at beginning of June, and the one remaining item of documentation will be submitted after we get married on Wednesday!

Because of the lease on her house we will not be able to get back into that until December 2015. Assuming my visa comes through towards the beginning of 2015 on the 8/9 month turnaround we are planning an activation trip in March/April allowing us to make the big move in October/November.

I know that one has to be a resident of Australia for 4 years and there are limits on being out of the country in this time, but when does the eligibility period start? Is it from the first visit on the partner visa even if this is just for a holiday, or only after one enters the country declaring that one is emigrating on the arrival card?

Thanks

David

Archived