UK driving Licence is it valid in Australia ??

froggles

Guest Bora
My UK Driving licence is up for renewal I was just wondering if it was worth renewing it?

What is the requirement in Australia ? If any British Ex pats know please let me know the procedure !!

Cheers Guys

Hi Froggles. I would renew it if you have time. If the same rule applies across all states in AU (you'd need to check), I had been given 6 months by the Rego people. Then you have time on your side AU side while you settle, PLUS you never know if you MAY return. Another tip, avoid purchasing a Car (if you plan to) from a different state to the one you will live. Nightmare when it comes to registering it. I would do my research on this topic from experience, it's not as simple as it is here ie, buy Car, get Insurance, Tax, away you go....you also get stung twice when it comes to road Insurance. You have the road insurance as you know but then you pay CTP insurance on top (only in QLD,NSW,ACT,Tas). My Car insurance was approx AU$1000 per annum ! £600 at the time..

Which state are you moving to buddy? It will depend on where you're moving to as to what you do. I know in Queensland you have to have lived there for 3 months first and obviously be a PR. It's as simple as filling out the form, proving who you are and proving you're fit, which you've already done in getting the visa in the first place!

I would get it renewed, you need a valid UK licence to apply for your Australian one without sitting a test - I'm not sure if it would cause issues if it had expired but I wouldn't chance it.

We're off to Queensland !

Its my card part which has expired so I need that to transfer to aus licence ?

No driving test required ?

If it has already expired you will need to renew so you can transfer to an Aussie licence.

I have the same problem. I have my uk licence and on the 1st June started my permanent visa. I read that in nsw you have 12 weeks to apply for a nsw drivers licence, but do you need your papers or just your card?

I don't think I have my papers?? I doubt my mother in the uk has it??

any help would be appreciated :)

Archived