Hi everyone! New to site and soon off to Oz!

Winchester

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I spent a year travelling from Perth to Sydney in a camper van in 2003 and have wanted to go back ever since. After a ton of paperwork and even more money I'm finally off to Perth in just over a month!

I'd really like to hear from anyone in the trade as I'm curious about what to expect when I get there. I've no idea where to base myself to be convenient for work. Who's good to work for and what sort of rates to expect?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Hello Rich and welcome. Glad that your journey is soon starting. It might be helpful if you mention which trade you are in so that people can give some ideas x

Thanks! I put it in the tag box at the bottom but you're right... It would be kind of helpful *facepalm*

I'm a dry liner, which I believe is called a gyprocker in Oz. I got a 190 visa as a fibrous plasterer.

Well I don't know anything at all about those professions :laugh:. I'm sorry but I have to confess to not looking at the tag line at the bottom. I'm pretty sure that some one will come along who knows much about those things as I can't even think off the top of my head who on the forum might know, apart from @pablo and he's in Liverpool!

If you try the search box, then you might find something. Also there's a dedicated forum for Perthites, called Poms in Perth that might be helpful for you to join as well. Everyone is a pretty friendly bunch but all the Perthies are probably asleep by now but you will find that you'll get a few replies.

Meantime, join in the chat on the any of the different forum sections if you fancy it x

Well I don't know anything at all about those professions :laugh:. I'm sorry but I have to confess to not looking at the tag line at the bottom. I'm pretty sure that some one will come along who knows much about those things as I can't even think off the top of my head who on the forum might know, apart from @pablo and he's in Liverpool!

If you try the search box, then you might find something. Also there's a dedicated forum for Perthites, called Poms in Perth that might be helpful for you to join as well. Everyone is a pretty friendly bunch but all the Perthies are probably asleep by now but you will find that you'll get a few replies.

Meantime, join in the chat on the any of the different forum sections if you fancy it x

All i know is i was PM'd the other week saying it was busy for Brickies in Perth,didn't mention dry liners,but i'd guess the same

All i know is i was PM'd the other week saying it was busy for Brickies in Perth,didn't mention dry liners,but i'd guess the same

Thanks, thats promising! Didn't happen to mention whether it was particularly north or south of the river did they?

Rich

Thanks, thats promising! Didn't happen to mention whether it was particularly north or south of the river did they?

Rich

If you like @Winchester, I can ask my Uncle in Perth if he has heard of any of these dry liner job thingies and see what he says? He has a company over there that does engineering projects etc., so he might know of some work that's coming up, specially as you're going over soon x

That would be great, thanks!

Rich

No mate,didn't say,i wasn't going to Perth anyway ,not a lover of working in the sun,nah all it was,i'd mentioned on the forum a bricky in Adelaide telling me it was really tight for work in SA,the lad PM'd me to let me know it was dead busy in Perth,just being helpful like,you'll be sound over there i'd imagine,good luck anyway

No mate,didn't say,i wasn't going to Perth anyway ,not a lover of working in the sun,nah all it was,i'd mentioned on the forum a bricky in Adelaide telling me it was really tight for work in SA,the lad PM'd me to let me know it was dead busy in Perth,just being helpful like,you'll be sound over there i'd imagine,good luck anyway

Cheers mate, once I find my feet I'll post what I find.

Archived