Just been accepted for my first WHV.. where to go first?

kylemac91

I'm planning going out on my own in March, i've never done anything like this alone before so it's all new to me and the thought alone is both very exciting and nerve wracking! I'm wanting to do a month in New Zealand and go to Asia aswell for a month or two, during my year in Australia, or after even. I was in Thailand a couple of years back so i want to see some more of Asia, i think i'd probably do that on my way home, and do New Zealand a few months in to my trip. I quite fancy flying in to Perth first as flights are much cheaper from Glasgow, and i plan to go there anyway. Has anyone flown in to Perth first? Is it easy to meet people there? Is it easy to find work there? And is there much to do around Perth in March?

Hope to hear from you's soon!

Hey Kyle welcome to PIO.

Sounds like a great trip. Perth definitely seems to be cheaper from Scotland. I imagine lots of people have went west first and then went over to the east coast. Everybody says how easy it is to meet people so you'll be fine! Can't comment on work though

I'm planning going out on my own in March...I quite fancy flying in to Perth first as flights are much cheaper from Glasgow, and i plan to go there anyway. Has anyone flown in to Perth first? Is it easy to meet people there? Is it easy to find work there? And is there much to do around Perth in March?

Bear in mind, flights within Australia are very expensive and the train from Perth to anywhere is about as bad. So if you buy a return flight to Perth, you'll be up for big costs getting to and from there at the start and end of your trip.

Have you looked into a Round The World fare? That would let you have stopovers on the way to and from. Here's one from the STA as an example:

http://ww4.statravel.co.uk/gets_apps/images/RTW_p30_fly_south_for_the_winter.pdf

Usually on these fares, you can stay in each stopover as long as you like - so you could have your month in NZ and your stay in Asia. Of course the fare is usually only valid for 12 months so that means you won't get the full year in Australia, but it could be a huge money saver.

What's the attraction of Perth? What other places are you keen to visit?

Just to add that internal flights around the Eastern States are much cheaper than if you go to the West. They often have good discounts from , say, Melb to Sydney, Melb to Launceston or Adelaide. You won't get that with Perth, it is on its own that way.

A girl I used to work with started in perth and then made her way to the other states. I think you just need to look out for occasional cheapish flights out of WA or if there aren't any then just pay the money but it still doesn't seem to put people off starting there

I was always under the impression internal flights within Australia are relatively cheap due to the shear size of the place? I've no real reason to be picking Perth as my first point other than the cheapness of the flights compared to flying in to say Sydney for e.g. (almost £300 one way)

I haven't looked in to a stopover but i'm going to give it a look, thanks! might be an option as it wouldn't bother me too much if i don't get the full 12 months in OZ because i plan to do farm work to get my second year visa. (assuming i enjoy the place that is).. so a round the world flight might suit me better come to think of it!

I'm keen to see as much as possible, main attractions for me being the Whitsundays, great barrier reef, blue mountains, uluru, gold coast, great ocean road, fraser island, sydney, melbourne, cairns, and many more..

Bear in mind, flights within Australia are very expensive and the train from Perth to anywhere is about as bad. So if you buy a return flight to Perth, you'll be up for big costs getting to and from there at the start and end of your trip.

Have you looked into a Round The World fare? That would let you have stopovers on the way to and from. Here's one from the STA as an example:

http://ww4.statravel.co.uk/gets_apps/images/RTW_p30_fly_south_for_the_winter.pdf

Usually on these fares, you can stay in each stopover as long as you like - so you could have your month in NZ and your stay in Asia. Of course the fare is usually only valid for 12 months so that means you won't get the full year in Australia, but it could be a huge money saver.

What's the attraction of Perth? What other places are you keen to visit?

awryt cool, i'd be wanting to visit WA anyway so i wouldnt mind paying the money!

A girl I used to work with started in perth and then made her way to the other states. I think you just need to look out for occasional cheapish flights out of WA or if there aren't any then just pay the money but it still doesn't seem to put people off starting there

How does other transport compare to the price of flights? Are trains and buses much cheaper, or not that much different?

Just to add that internal flights around the Eastern States are much cheaper than if you go to the West. They often have good discounts from , say, Melb to Sydney, Melb to Launceston or Adelaide. You won't get that with Perth, it is on its own that way.

How does other transport compare to the price of flights? Are trains and buses much cheaper, or not that much different?

I think the trains are a fair bit more expensive because they involve extended overnight stays and food. Not so sure about buses- guess the private companies would be worth checking out. Bear in mind its a really big country and you can spend many many hours just gazing at saltbush! You do get fares for as low as $39 one way from Sydney to Melbourne- especially the 'Friday frenzy' specials.

Archived