Cleaning tools.

Tosh

To what extent should I be cleaning my tools?

Should I literally be cleaning 'everything' in jeys fluid, inc spanners, screw drivers etc, or is it only the things that would have come into contact with wood and garden materials.?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Thanks for your responses. what about surface rust on some tools and a couple of old metal tool boxes. Even if I clean them with Jeys and wd40 them the rust is still there. should I bin these?

Rust shouldn't be too much of a worry. It's bio security that customs are interested in (things that have been in contact with animals, soil, made of wood, plant material etc.)

I emptied all the dust out of my tool boxes, wiped them down with a rag and wd40, wiped down my tools with the same rag, and everything got through just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't clean mine at all and they all went through fine. I mean if your tools are full of grease then it might be a good excuse to give them a wipe down and start afresh. I bought myself one of those Sealey Cabinets and put all of my tools in there. And bought a couple of the wheeley Stanley boxes for my electrical and plumbing tools.

Archived