Reclaiming Super

lauradarlin

Hi guys

A strange man told me that if you reclaim your super when you leave Australia you can never apply for another super account ever again...is this true?!

I'm leaving shortly after 2 years on a WHV but hope to return in the not too distant future to work/live. If I take out my super when I leave will i be causing the future me a problem?

Guest guest99274

A friend of mine is moving back to Ireland next week,he said if you reclaim your super you have to give up your rights to Australia , ie PR,citizenship also the government take 35% of it.

Hi guys

A strange man told me that if you reclaim your super when you leave Australia you can never apply for another super account ever again...is this true?!

I'm leaving shortly after 2 years on a WHV but hope to return in the not too distant future to work/live. If I take out my super when I leave will i be causing the future me a problem?

A friend of mine is moving back to Ireland next week,he said if you reclaim your super you have to give up your rights to Australia , ie PR,citizenship also the government take 35% of it.

If you have PR or citizenship you can't reclaim your super until preservation age according to the ATO. And, yes it's taxed at 35%

If you read my post properly , you can claim your super if you give up you PR & citizenship

Can you provide a link to an official site that confirms this ? The ATO site is clear that only holders of temporary visas can reclaim their super payments.

It is always a 'friend of a friend' that claims to have got their money back after having PR.

Guest guest99274

No I cant.Read what my post says.Ive made a statement, its up to you to believe it.I never said I got it from the Ato

Hi guys

Hi Laura

Not true as far as I am concerned.

Eligible temporary residents that meet the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) condition of release are able to claim back their super, https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Applying-for-a-Departing-Australia-super-payment/.

If returning in the future I cannot see how there would be any issue opening a new superannuation fund, remember it is a legal requirement for an employer to pay an employee superannuation monies.

Kind regards

Andy

No I cant.Read what my post says.Ive made a statement, its up to you to believe it.I never said I got it from the Ato

It's just a pity that your statement isn't true. Giving up your PR or citizenship does not allow you to ask your super early.

Archived