Contributory Aged Parent Visa?

steve14

Applying for a bridging visa B would allow you to travel if needed. For partner visas, if you keep your Case Officer informed of any travel plans, they'll typically let you know when they're ready to grant the visa so you know to get back onshore (or go offshore if you'd applied offshore) so hopefully they'd also do the same for a parent visa.

My wife and I are considering applying for CP 143 visas (one daughter permanent resident in Australia, one son resident in UK). It appears that the 143 visas could take up to almost 2 years to process?

As we visit Australia at least once a year the 864 visa, with what appears to be a much shorter processing time, seems to be a better option?

If we were to go down this route and were granted a bridging visa what is the position about leaving Australia for a visit back home in UK or if you needed to return home to UK urgently?

Also, as you must be in Australia when the 864 visa is granted, do you get sufficient notice to return to Australia when the visa is about to be granted.

Having thought again about my post quoted above, I think DIMIA would not approve of the above approach i.e. entering Australia on a tourist visa for example and then applying for an 864 visa? I think the CP 143 visa would be the correct approach?

is there normally much of a time difference in the length of time taken to grant a 143 and 864?

• 2 weeks later...

Surely the Onshore Aged Parent Visa is intended only for exceptional circumstances?

As it is an "Onshore" Visa, then the applicant, more than likely, is in Australia on a tourist visa?

I presume that the 864 Visa should only then be applied for if the applicant is unable to leave Australia due to some reason?

Hi Steve14 Why don't you go on the parents thread and ask if anyone there has experience of moving to Melbourne as an 'oldie'? Moving anywhere at 78 could be quite daunting but I think in some ways its the same as moving at any age - you have to be prepared to go and look for social contacts, they aren't going to come knocking on the door. My mum was left alone at 86 when my father died and successfully made new social contacts (albeit in her home town) by joining groups specifically for older singles, attending church functions and so on. It was terribly difficult but she had a reasonable round of activities in the end.

I'm 'only' sixty two, hoping to come over in a couple of years with my husband. I've so far google searched the central coast where we hope to settle, to locate book groups, walking groups and bowls clubs, these being things I am/ might be interested in. This is what I did when we moved back to the UK from Belgium five years ago and we have a fairly active social life now. I think you have to be prepared to go to just about everything you can, and then drop the things you don't like.

Google Melbourne for seniors now, and see what comes up. Or better still, get your mum to do it!

Good luck :-)

I'm still trying to get a handle on the Aged CPV (864) - as opposed to the CPV 143.

I understand that it is possible to apply for this Visa (864) if you are in Australia on an Evisitor Visa?

Can you then leave Australia before your Evisitor Visa expires?

if you are offshore when asked to do the medical can the medical be done offshore?

can the PCC be submitted from offshore?

Can you get an Evisitor Visa to return to Australia to be onshore when the Aged Parent (864) Visa is granted?

it's bugging me!

Please help, someone!

I'm still trying to get a handle on the Aged CPV (864) - as opposed to the CPV 143.

I understand that it is possible to apply for this Visa (864) if you are in Australia on an Evisitor Visa?

Can you then leave Australia before your Evisitor Visa expires?

if you are offshore when asked to do the medical can the medical be done offshore?

can the PCC be submitted from offshore?

Can you get an Evisitor Visa to return to Australia to be onshore when the Aged Parent (864) Visa is granted?

it's bugging me!

Please help, someone!

When applying for an onshore visa such as the 864 you should usually plan to be onshore for most of the duration of the processing time - a Bridging Visa A is issued to allow you to remain lawfully in Australia.

The interaction of an eVisitor visa with a BV is probably best discussed on the phone with an advisor, but in essence you can return on the eVisitor while it is valid - but you (or your agent) should then check your BV status with the Department of Immigration, as departing can cause the BV to be cancelled.

In case of need: http://www.gm-parent-visas.com/

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...
Just in case you're not aware the 2 year period does not have to be as a Permanent Resident. Any period of lawful residence in Australia counts towards it.

Also that onshore applicants have to be 'aged' (over 65).

Hi I am new to this forum, so do a husband and wife have to apply for a visa and pay twice the charges?

• 4 weeks later...

No refund is possible for anything that has already been paid, but you don't pay the second instalment of a CPV (the larger amount) until just before the visa is granted. If the applicant were to die between the grant and actually entering Australia to validate the visa, there would be no refund.

The potential cost of treating a medical condition over a period of years and the cost to the community for the care of the individual is the basis for denial of a visa on medical grounds. Every case is assessed on its merits and every case is different so there's no clear and straight answer to your question. If a husband and wife apply for a visa and only one passes the medical, neither will be granted a visa - one out, all out.

Death is one of the very few eligible criteria for a refund:

"Your visa application charge will be refunded if:

• your application was unnecessary at the time it was made

• your application is made because of a mistake made by us

• the applicant dies before a decision is made."

Thank you for replying. If the applicant dies before a decision is ok, but what if you have paid the full amount for the visa after a decision to grant has been made?? Richard.