Transferring credit card debt

Xerxes

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to hear from someone who had actually used them instead of getting the "please use my business" spiel!

I am using MoneyCorp to pay of my credit card debt in Germany. I asked the bank to divide it into installments and each month I send money to my MoneyCorp account (takes 1 day) and then to the German account (another day). The exchange rates are not very good (due to small transfers), but I can't think of any other way...

How stupid of us- we didn't think it through! Of course we can't afford to emigrate because we don't want to pay off a bill that can potentially be transferred and paid off monthly, why didn't we think of that?!

I guess most people would assume that the credit card debt, being at the worst possible rate of interest as most credit cards are, wouldn't be something you'd want to carry if you had money to spare. The fact that, apparently, if you paid back the debt you'd have no money to emigrate is something that worries those of us who have been through the experience, so it's natural that we are concerned for you. Emigrating always costs a sh**load more than you think, so to embark on it when strapped for cash is a very risky thing to do. Having said that, we don't know your circumstances.

Can you keep a UK bank account open and carry on paying it from Australia if you don't have a UK address?

Yes you can.

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks guys! God my head is spinning!

Hi @Xerxes I joined Moneycorp back in the UK. You basically 'buy' currency when you want it or it's at a good rate. So in UK I just did this with my debit card. Then it's credited to your money corp online account then you buy x amount of $ with it and chose a recipient- in my case my NAB bank. Very easy. No fees if you join through Pio I think- although I suspect our rate is slightly less favorable than if we were fee paying customers.

In return it's slight;y different. I do an electronic transfer of $ to a bank account and they then credit them to my account to but GBP in the same way. I have had no hiccups with them and they are very easy to deal with. Whole process takes just a few days this end. I can't recall how long i took other end.

As said before loads of people use them and there are other similar companies as well.