Renting when we arrive - references?

tina0101

When we get out to Brisbane, we will be looking to secure a rental while we get settled and have jobs etc so we can start looking to buy.

Will a rental require any references? We have never rented in the UK so have nobody to be a referee that we will be good tenants.

How have others got around this?? We will have a reasonably healthy bank balance from our house sale to show we can pay.

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest hey don't really bother with references, all they are bothered about is seeing that you can pay. If you have a bank statement showing quite a bit of money in take a photo copy and include it in your application.

We had to put up 6 months rental in advance to secure our place, we thus avoided all the other stuff. The landlord obviously accepted straight away.

Otherwise would have needed to have provided employment proof, references etc. All whilst other people were submitting applications for the same property.

We applied for quite some houses with various real estate agencies. Some did check our references. Although they were just as interested in personal references as in old rental references. Some went even as far as calling/emailing references in the UK. We did get a house real quick (within a week). We also agreed that we would pay 6 months rent up front, that made all the difference.

A copy of an recent bank statement might help as well.

Thanks guys. I was hoping that a healthy bank statement and 6 months rent may avoid the reference part :-)

sorry to a damper on things, under QLD tenancy law, an agent or landlord can not take more than 4 weeks bond, and four weeks rent in advance if the rent is $700 per week or less. If it is above that - then it is by negotiation. Please check out http://www.rta.qld.gov.au . You can understand that if you part with money, and then the landlord is not actually the landlord, ( could actually be the current tenants) thats a lot of money to part with.

I would advise that bring personal references, and pictures of your house, and how well kept you have it etc.....the more "visual" stuff and support you have the more the agents will give you a break. As the other person said, you might have to see a few and put in applications on more than one, to get a house/unit.

We rent, and had friends references, and photos of our house in uk before moving, and also build a "relationship" with more that 3 agents. we managed to secure a property with in 2 weeks of arriving. We moved after the 6 months was up, and have been in this one for 15 months, and its still about been building a relationship with our letting agent when he/she inspects, and payment on time, and keep it clean etc

It is a roller coaster to get the first rental, but after that, it becomes easier and you then have better "credentials" for the next one.

Thanks for this jamesnparry. I'm going to ask our estate agent that sold our house here to write a reference about how the house was always tidy and clean and what good sellers we are. I'm also getting my work to write me a couple of references before I go, which will also help the case.

• 2 months later...

#32 sprug

user-online.png

TitleJunior Member

Join DateNov 2009

LocationMoggill, Brisbane, QLD

Posts26

Liked9 times

Repreputation_pos.png

Hi I am a licensed real estate agent that worked in the western suburbs of Brisbane as a rental agent for 4 years (I left to work full time as a relocation agent). From my perspective as a rental agent a Tip for securing a home would be to have the following with your application:

100 points id

2 personal reference

proof of income (wages, offer of employment, bank statements)

A letter from either a selling agent or a rental agent from your last home

A personal letter to say why you want the home.

Additionally whilst it is not required it may be prudent to offer a little more than the asking price (even 5 dollars a week to make your application stand out). I recently secured a home for a nurse from the uk (last month) in North Lakes whilst they were in the UK. When they arrived in Brisbane I collected them and took them to the new home - no temporary accommodation was needed. The couple in question secured the home against 11 other candidates by having all the paperwork ready (via me) and offering $5 a week more
:)

I worked with a lot of pommies as a real estate agent and I have a lot of Pommies as relocation clients and it is not impossible to secure a home when you are not in the country - in fact quite the opposite. When I was a real estate agent everyone would jump when a relocation agent wanted to view a home. It was generally considered that if the individual was using an agent they were already pre screened and were more likely to be the kind of candidate that would look after the home as they had money behind them.

Hope this helps
:)

we were refused rentals for not having Aussie references (all references including personal ref had to be in Australia, we didn't know any aussies!), i went to the discrimination people and complained, it was upheld and the real estates involved apologised and stated they would accept references from other countries in the future, I have found they are very picky on references, wanting 2 professional and one personal, all being checked, however i have never tried just showing a wad of cash! When we first arrived i just used my mum and dad as references and eventually it was accepted, once we were in the rental market its been really easy to get others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've always rented in the UK, so have requested that my current landlords write me a reference, but they are being very difficult, they said that they can't provide me with a reference and that any potential landlord would have to contact them. However, I will work my way around this. Do you have any pointers in securing accommodation in Melbourne. What other references would you recommend?

Thanks

we were refused rentals for not having Aussie references (all references including personal ref had to be in Australia, we didn't know any aussies!), i went to the discrimination people and complained, it was upheld and the real estates involved apologised and stated they would accept references from other countries in the future, I have found they are very picky on references, wanting 2 professional and one personal, all being checked, however i have never tried just showing a wad of cash! When we first arrived i just used my mum and dad as references and eventually it was accepted, once we were in the rental market its been really easy to get others.

Hi

I've always rented in the UK, so have requested that my current landlords write me a reference, but they are being very difficult, they said that they can't provide me with a reference and that any potential landlord would have to contact them. However, I will work my way around this. Do you have any pointers in securing accommodation in Melbourne. What other references would you recommend?

Thanks

Some temporary accommodation providers such as ourselves will provide a landlord's reference as part of the service.

BB

Archived