Bringing over new tools in belongings do they incur duty/gst

Piglets mum

Hi, my hubby is a builder and wants to buy new tools (drills and hand tools ) before we move to Australia. Just wondering if anyone had imported new tools in their belongings and if you had to pay duty/gst and how much it was. Also if anyone has and good websites for tools in Australia ??

Thanks in advance

In my experience some tools are more expensive others are cheaper as a example you can by replacement batteries a lot cheaper in oz than the uk ,plus if the tool happens to develop a fault you can take it back, I do use amazon at times to get some items which are a fair bit cheaper even with shipping. To be honest I wouldn't be going out and buying a load of new tools to ship over, bring all the tools you have don't leave anything behind and then get new out here,also the plugs are completely different

When I arrived in Melbourne over 2 years ago I took all my tools over (Carpenter) even my 110v power tools. Going to work on any CFMEU site you have to have your tools tagged and tested every 3 months. You can not use 110v power tools on these sites so they are only good for private work or having at home. You can change the plugs on your own 240v power tools with an Australian type plug and tag and test them for work.

Buying power tools are slightly more expensive here but you can put it all against your Tax at the end of the year, thats why the likes of Total Tools, Just Tools and United Tools have sales at this time of year.

Take all of what you have but the more you buy and may not use over here may be false saving

Is he's going to stay in the Building game when you arrive here? When are you moving to??

Cheers

Ok so now thinking that it might be easier with shipping and everything to just buy anything new in oz. we will be staying in Brisbane initially but debating between ballarat area and up in bundaberg. Hubby is self taught with nothing on paper so not sure how easy it will be to get work. He has 25 years experience as a general builder and would love to work as builder in oz so any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

If your husband intends to work as a builder in Victoria he will either have to get his builders licence or work with another builder under theirs.

The whole Construction game is different here. Alot of "Tradies" stick to one aspect of their trade. If your husband is multi skilled as most general builders are then it opens up his options.

I can't speak for other States but there is plenty work in the commercial sector here in Melbourne and the domestic sector seems to busy too with plenty building going on in the new suburbs . The domestic side is fairly competitive as most Tradies work subbie to the major home builders, i.e Metricon, Porter Davis etc.

I worked with a builder first on new build town houses on roofs and finishings then with another company as an installer fitting Joinery, kitchens, laundries, w'robes and bathroom cabinets.

As long as you can do the work then bits of paper showing qualifications are rarely asked for!

Cheers

• 3 years later...

Archived