Cost of living

AdamandOlivia2013

Hello, im new here and our plans are just begining, we are apprehensive and want as much research as possible before we actually go! ... at the moment we're just looking into the cost of living in Australia and what our possible jobs would bring in. Adam my husband is currently a Spring Engineer and works in inspection and dispatch. I myself have recently graduated from a criminal justice degree however due to the lack of criominal sector jobs going over here at the moment i have applied for a midwifery degree 2015. So based on that and the fact we have two children (18 months and 3) who by the time we move will be at school. We want the rough estimate and also if anyone can help on suggesting ideal places to live with schools and family orrientated settings?

thanks in advance, EVeRYTHING is a help trust me!

Olivia and Adam Savoury

The cost of living depends on where you settle.

Without a doubt the biggest cost of being here is accommodation.

Living in a major city can be massively expensive compared to some of the out of city locations.

Check out domain. Com. Au for rental prices in a couple of areas. City and sticks.

Beyond that Tbh we have found pretty much everything a bit more expensive with a few exceptions.

Think of it like this. Can you currently afford to live in the heart of London or are you a quiet town away from major cities?

It very much depends on where you are planning on living. It's a big place and there are a lot of variables. For example, Sydney has probably the highest costs for housing. But Perth is more expensive for entertainment and food.

I would start by looking at the job sites such as seek.com.au to try and get an idea of what your husbands occupation pays and the amount of jobs available. This will guide where you should be looking to live. With salaries, as a very rough guide, take what ever you earn in pounds and multiply it by 2.2 and this will give a figure in dollars that buys a similar lifestyle that you have now.

Most importantly though, do you have visas?

Another question is what's the tax back thingy?

That's where you claim back incidental living expenses as if they were incurred whilst producing an income, thus reducing your tax liability. Then you complain that there isn't enough money in the public purse to provide good services. Is that what you meant?

That's where you claim back incidental living expenses as if they were incurred whilst producing an income, thus reducing your tax liability. Then you complain that there isn't enough money in the public purse to provide good services. Is that what you meant?

Cynical, but that's about it.

This is is very helpful! Can I be personal and ask what you guys do and your children's ages etc? Also where do you live? Another question is what's the tax back thingy?

Thankyou x

Not personal, as it's on the spreadsheet or my profile :wink:

Im a teacher, oh a nurse. Live in Somerville.

Kids 6 and 3.

Tax return gives us tax back we have overpaid, yearly.

Hi here are some websites realestate.com.au seek.com.au http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au www.originenergy.com carsales.com.au /www.abc-childcare.com/rates /www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/How-much-income-tax-you-pay flightcentre.com.au myers.com.au target.com.au bigw.com.au kmart.com.au davidjones.com.au aldi.com.au coles.com.au caltex.com.au

You will also have to factor in cost of school books and uniforms you do get some money back to help with fees and books see the government websites, dental care and doctors costs some bulk bill can be quite confusing but if you look on the medicare.com.au it should explain for you.

You are better doing your own research as a family nobody knows how you live your life and what you spend etc but do not under estimate your income and outgoings so it looks good on paper you have to be totally honest with yourselves. good luck

Archived