Healthcare Assistant

The Butlers

Hi All

I have an interview for a healthcare assistant job, I have never done it before.

I have heard that if I do NVQs it will stand for nothing in Oz.

Will work experience help.

Do they have work for healthcare assistants in Oz.

Thanks for your time.

Emma

Guest Mel P

Hi There, I have done this job since leaving school erm........17 years ago..... and have worked in lots of different posts from the elderly to the young disabled to severe challenging behaviour,but never done my NVQ and I have got every job I went for without it. I know it's becoming more essential in the UK, but NVQ in Oz ????? I was told that my skills over in Oz don't really count as my hubby will apply for our visa. But I still want a job!!!

I find that if you can put yourself in the other persons shoes, this usually helps at interviews. You know...when they ask you what you would do in certain situations, try to think that if it was you, how would you or you like your child or parent to be treated. And be people friendly and down to earth. Oh and if the interviewee is male...give him a nice smile and wink at him and make his day !! It works every time!! Good luck

They'll probably ask what you'll do in certain situations - just use common sense, what they'll want to hear is that you can use your initiative, will alert a senior memember of staff if there's a problem and that you'll work in a safe manner according to any policies that the place has, and if you're not sure of something ... you'll ask.

Confidentiality is a big thing .... you won't talk about people outside work and if a patient/client asks to tell you something in confidence you would tell them that if it's something you need to pass on or record you'll do so (this gives them the option not to tell you).

If they ask about NVQ - tell them you're prepared to study for any qualifications they think are appropriate to your job

Hi All

I have an interview for a healthcare assistant job, I have never done it before.

Thanks for your time.

Emma

Hi Emma

I myself was an Auxilliary nurse back in old blighty working for the nhs and when I came out here got a job first in aged care and then as an assistant nurse in a hospital. They did look favourable on my past experience and BTEC cert in Health studies (similar to NVQ) and after assessment with the training board this cert was recognised. I think you will find the same with the NVQ. There are loads of work in the aged care sector and also you can go and do a certificate 3 in care. (This is in Queensland dont know about the other states but would imagine its similar)

I went on here in Australia to do my diploma in nursing which I am just about finishing. There is shortages out here for nurses and carers, as with everywhere in the world so you shouldn't have a problem regards work.

Hope this helps and good luck at the interview.

Cheers Pozzy

• 11 months later...
Guest tlc05
Hi All

Thanks for your time.

Emma

Hi Emma how you getting on working as a HCA? I work as a HCA in Gillingham kent . Have you applied for your visa yet? Be nice to hear an update on your progress :jiggy:

Guest tlc05
Hi Emma

I myself was an Auxilliary nurse back in old blighty working for the nhs and when I came out here got a job first in aged care and then as an assistant nurse in a hospital. They did look favourable on my past experience and BTEC cert in Health studies (similar to NVQ) and after assessment with the training board this cert was recognised. I think you will find the same with the NVQ. There are loads of work in the aged care sector and also you can go and do a certificate 3 in care. (This is in Queensland dont know about the other states but would imagine its similar)

I went on here in Australia to do my diploma in nursing which I am just about finishing. There is shortages out here for nurses and carers, as with everywhere in the world so you shouldn't have a problem regards work.

Hope this helps and good luck at the interview.

Cheers Pozzy

Hi I work as a HCA with District Nurses in the community, Ive got my N.V.Q 3. Do you think I could go straight to applying for a job as AIN in Oz? or would I still have to start out working as a personal carer for elderly?

Also I can do my diploma nurse training here through NHS but would rather wait and do it in Oz . Is it easy to get them to put you through it in Oz? Congratulations on completing youre diploma :jiggy:

Guest Guest26012
Hi I work as a HCA with District Nurses in the community, Ive got my N.V.Q 3. Do you think I could go straight to applying for a job as AIN in Oz? or would I still have to start out working as a personal carer for elderly?

Also I can do my diploma nurse training here through NHS but would rather wait and do it in Oz . Is it easy to get them to put you through it in Oz? Congratulations on completing youre diploma :jiggy:

Hi im a nurse in Perth. Sadly they have just put the training for AINs on hold because of budget cuts!! Thats in our hospital. You could work as a carer when you get here. AINs in our hospital used their training as a stepping stone to either EN training or RN training, some of them, not all. Its sad that they have stopped the funding for this as this would have solved some of their nursing shortages, i feel! I would do my training in the uk, if i were you as you have to pay for it here! Good luck with whatever you decide! :yes:

Archived