ACS RPL Help

scrappydoo

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post as I'm new to PomsinOz. I need some help in filling out RPL as I received an email from ACS stating that my qualifications don't match with ICT and I would need to provide an RPL. I have a B.Tech degree in Production Engineering, however my experience has been in Computer Networking (9.5 years to be precise). A couple of questions I had

1. The RPL form states 4 Areas namely - Technology Resources, Technology Building, Services Management and Outcomes Management. It doesn't have an option to select sub-categories i.e. certain sub-categores under Technology Building apply to me and others don't, so how do I mention/select that.

2. It requires verifiable statements from employers, can anyone please share a sample/reference for the same, I submitted an employment reference letter stating my roles & responsibilities earlier in my ACS application, so I'm not sure if I can re-use the same letter or I need a separate on from my Manager.

3. Additionally, I was also requested the following

• Certified copy of your birth certificate or passport.
  • Certified copy of a letter of completion for your .........................., stating the exact date that the course requirements were met.
  • Certified copy of your ............................... degree certificate.
  • Certified copy of the complete and final academic transcript for your ............................... degree.
  • Certified copy of detailed employer references from .......................................................

Now who is supposed to fill those dashes and I already provided them with my passport copy, B.Tech degree.

I can provide more details on my experience and would really help if someone could guide me through or provide me with a reference of a consultant that can help me, I'm located in New Delhi, India.

TIA

On ACS site there is an applicant guide that explains (almost) everything.

Dashes should be replaced by actual name of you diploma/employer etc.

Keep in mind that with RPL you should still validate your diploma with the correct assessment institution (Vetassess?).

Also, with RPL the first 6 years will be considered unskilled and deducted from your 9,5 years. If you don't have a Batchelor degree than 8 years will be deducted. You can claim points only for the rest.

ACS cannot assess non-IT degress, therefore even if it is possible to apply at ACS, no points will be obtained for you education. That is because ACS will only certify that one has the skills, but not the education.

Update: just checked the link. What is saying there is that you don't needed the "Points advice..." while applying at ACS and that is correct. Certified copies of diploma is enough. That is correct, but you will definately needed when applying for EOI.

ACS cannot assess non-IT degress, therefore even if it is possible to apply at ACS, no points will be obtained for you education. That is because ACS will only certify that one has the skills, but not the education.

Update: just checked the link. What is saying there is that you don't needed the "Points advice..." while applying at ACS and that is correct. Certified copies of diploma is enough. That is correct, but you will definately needed when applying for EOI.

No assessing authority other than AEI-noosr (Google it) can offer authoritative assessments of academic qualifications, that does not stop them from charging for looking up the CEP (Google it). Sometimes 'points advice' fro skills assessing authorities is wrong.

Thx Guys,

I tried searching for the RPL Applicant guide on ACS, could not find one. Additionally, reading through the messages, do I need to reach out to VETASSESS ? I don't think I need to as that is for Vocational Trainings & Assessment. I have a 4 year B.Tech (Production Engineering) degree, I understand, it's a non-IT degree and hence ACS is asking me to go the RPL route, however will this in any way impact the number of points I would get when filing EOI ?

I would appreciate if someone from Computer Networking skillset could share an RPL (if anyone filed it) as a reference. I went through the RPL form and it's confusing.

TIA

Hi, scrappydoo,

You can find information about ACS assessing process at this link: https://www.acs.org.au/migration-skills-assessment. This is the Applicant guide: https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/7319/Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf.

Back to your questions about diploma assessment: while applying for ACS assessment you don't need any education assessment. If your studies were in IT area ACS will automatically assess it if it's considered (according with Australian standards) IT Major, IT Minor or non-IT (check page 9 / chapter 8 from above document). My understanding it that you already did something like a pre-assessment and your degree is non-IT. That is why ACS recommended RPL stream. Following a successful assessment throught RPL your skills will be recognized in Australia, however there are some info that you should know: part of the employment done after obtaining your degree will be deducted from your total employment period because it will consider unskilled employment (check page 5 / chapter 5 from above document).

Extract from document about RPL assessment:

5 – Recognition of Prior Learning – (RPL)

The RPL application is for applicants with Non ICT or insufficient ICT qualifications, or do not hold any tertiary ICT qualifications.

6 years of full time professional ICT work experience in a field closely related to the nominated ANZSCO Code is required if you hold a Non ICT or insufficient ICT qualification and 8 years if you do not have ICT qualification.

Here (http://www.immi.gov.au/Services/Pages/professionals-other-skilled-workers-online-applications.aspx) you can find info about various types of visa. As I suppose you'll apply for 189 or 190 you should check this link http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1119.pdf.

Regarding education assessment you should read this: http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_points_test_advice.cfm#4

I would appreciate if someone from Computer Networking skillset could share an RPL (if anyone filed it) as a reference. I went through the RPL form and it's confusing.

You're not going to find anyone who will furnish you with a copy of their RPL. Lots of work goes into it, and people just don't want to give that away, especially considering that ACS check for plagiarism.

FWIW, I did a skills assessment as 261312 Developer Programmer, and just did TR and TB - I missed out the other 2 areas. As the guide says, just document what you learned, how/where you learnt it, and how you applied it to a working environment (paraphrased)

on the ACS site there should be a link to the key areas of knowledge document. This splits those 4 headings into the subgroups that you're looking for. You fill out for every part you have some knowledge of, then do your project reports.

good luck, i've been doing mine for 2 months now, it's a behemoth of a document.

on the ACS site there should be a link to the key areas of knowledge document. This splits those 4 headings into the subgroups that you're looking for. You fill out for every part you have some knowledge of, then do your project reports.

good luck, i've been doing mine for 2 months now, it's a behemoth of a document.

I read about the lengths of time that people had spent on their RPL, I heard someone did around 50 pages!!

Mine was 9 pages (just the knowledge areas part) and I got a pass. Focus on quality.

thx guys,

I will be reading through the docs on ACS site and I've been given only 30 days to furnish RPL with additional 50 AUD fee or else they'll provide their report based on the information available. I guess, I'll have to put on my thinking hat as most of my experience has been in Network Support, so creating a project that explains that experience is going to be hard. I'm applying under 263111- Computer Network and Systems Engineer. Also has anyone tried rpl-it.com ? They help build RPL Project reports, any feedback on it.

TIA

I would not use a RPL created by someone else, but I suppose you can use one from them as example. I'll bet nobody will share their own partially because of the effort, partially because of the plagiarism checks.

thx guys,

I will be reading through the docs on ACS site and I've been given only 30 days to furnish RPL with additional 50 AUD fee or else they'll provide their report based on the information available. I guess, I'll have to put on my thinking hat as most of my experience has been in Network Support, so creating a project that explains that experience is going to be hard. I'm applying under 263111- Computer Network and Systems Engineer. Also has anyone tried rpl-it.com ? They help build RPL Project reports, any feedback on it.

Study the topics in the units in each of the key areas of knowledge, and mention as many things as you can that match up to those topics, and how you learnt them. Mention as much technical jargon as possible.

Give yourself plenty of time, start on it today. Those 30 days soon turn in 3. Also, try grovel for a little extension nearer the time ;)

I read about the lengths of time that people had spent on their RPL, I heard someone did around 50 pages!!

Mine was 9 pages (just the knowledge areas part) and I got a pass. Focus on quality.

Oh mine won't be 50 pages. I'm just really bad at forcing myself to work on it and not good at selling myself. Done the knowledge areas, now onto the reports. Totally agree there's no point fluffing it out for the sake of it, doesn't do anyone any favours.

• 7 months later...

Hi itegoa,

can you send me your RPL to see how did you write .

I need example..so please send me

my email is :

spegla [at] gmail [.] com

I have over 10 years IT experience and I would be happy to see some example and write my own.

cheers

spegla

Hi itegoa,

can you send me your RPL to see how did you write .

I need example..so please send me

my email is :

spegla [at] gmail [.] com

I have over 10 years IT experience and I would be happy to see some example and write my own.

cheers

spegla

Sorry, but no. It took me many weeks of blood, sweat and tears. I'm not going to give that away. Besides, ACS check for plagiarism.

Just follow the guides on ACS' website. All you have to write about is what you've learnt over the years. There's a checklist of topics on the guides - just go through that any explain in a bit more detail what you learnt.

Good luck :)

Sorry, but no. It took me many weeks of blood, sweat and tears. I'm not going to give that away. Besides, ACS check for plagiarism.

Just follow the guides on ACS' website. All you have to write about is what you've learnt over the years. There's a checklist of topics on the guides - just go through that any explain in a bit more detail what you learnt.

Good luck :)

thank you for your quick answer.

just to know I don't want to copy your RPL, I just wanna to see as example and I will write on my own way.

once again thank you a lot.

cheers

mate

• 2 months later...

Archived