Separation whilst on a permanent residency visa .... anyone??

Bez1

I need some advice! Does anyone know the rules and regs of help if you separate from your spouse?

I am going through hell atm and I want my husband to leave!!! I would be so grateful for some advice or point me in the right direction.

All I can say is we've gone through addiction after addiction - alcohol, gambling, alcohol and I don't want it in my life anymore. He is seeking help from professionals but I need him to leave now. He is taking the **** big time and I am over it!! HELP is required!!!

To set your mind at rest you and the children have your own permanent visas, with the same conditions as your OH.

You can stay in Australia even if he doesn't or you are no longer together.

the only restrict ion you will have is nothing to do with the visa, you won't be able to leave and take the children out of Australia without his consent. There are different laws regarding this.

you need some support though, are you seeking help too?

Thank you TG - I speak with my Dr who is great but I miss family/friends so much. I don't know anything about whether I am liable for his debt, whether I can claim financial help with our unit etc. He simply doesn't understand what he is doing!! Do they have anything like Citizens Advice Bureau over here?

it is already answered, but yes, you are an "independent" visa holder now.

So whatever happens during discussion with your husband, don't be scared. Even if he said "I'll cancel your PR!", because he can't do anything about your PR, only immigration office can control your residency. And you haven't done anything wrong for your PR anyway.

I'm in Inner West Sydney. I'm worried if he owes so much $$$ would I be liable too, as his OH?

You need to look up your local community legal centre (there will be several in the inner west) who will see you for free and start you off with some advice. They should ask you about the types of debts and advise you. They will also be able to recommend other services to you. Good luck!

You could try calling Lifeline 131114 as they are a great resource for services in your area. There will probably be a financial counselling service in your area and there is also likely to be a counselling service for chronic gamblers which will offer advice and support for family members, or at least help you target the sort of support you require.

As as others have said, your visa status is assured but you will most probably encounter difficulties should you decide to leave the jurisdiction with the kids.

All the best! It's a terrible situation to find yourself in!

Archived