NHS versus Agency working....?

Buttercup

Just wondered if there are any nurses on here who have left the NHS to work for agencies. I'm currently employed by the NHS but am getting a bit tired of being stretched on a daily basis like an elastic band. I enjoy my job, but at times it's a bit soul destroying. I know I can prob get loads of agency work and it would mean giving up a permanant job, but I really am getting a bit fed up with all the bull (I know it happens everywhere) but the more I think about agency work, the more it appeals....It does go against some of my principles but I've learned in this game you really have to look after yourself as most of the people at the top don't seem to give a toss. Sad really. Any thoughts experience would be greatly appreciated. :-)

I know a lot of trust workers also work for NHSP to work extra shifts else where. The agency nurses i've worked with haven't really complained about the work. Obviously the best thing about it is you can choose what hours you work, no idea about pay, but I know as an agency HCSW i get more than the trust HCSW's do!

I think the pay is higher because you don't get sick or holiday pay - so you have to budget for that if you're just doing agency. The plus points are that you choose to work when you want to. Negatives for me, would not really being part of a team, you'd have to work anywhere - probably one of the questions I'd ask is if what areas do most of their staff get sent to.

Archived