New member needs help!

Honey2007

Hi to all you brits down under,

This is my first post, and i need your help, so here is our story..............

My husband has 8 years experience in the painting/decorating/maintenance sector. He has not been in this trade for the last 5 years, but has just returned to it this month. He has no formal qualifications, just on the job experience/client testimonials/tax records to back up his years in the trade. I am studying for a level 3 diploma in early years teaching, and will be qualified in feb 2015 with 2 years experience. We are looking to emigrate to the cairns area, Queensland, as my sister has been there 8 years now, and we would like to move near her if possible. We have twin daughters age 7.

I know we can get my husbands skills assesed, but how long does he need to be working in the trade before we can apply for a visa? and does he have enough years experience?

I am being told lots of different information, and not sure which is correct.

I know i cannot use my qualification (once qualified), as this is not on skills list, which is a shame as there is a shortage or early years workers in the QLD area.

Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated!

Lorraine x

Welcome to the forum,

Sorry I cant be much help but hopefully another member will be along soon to help. Have you tried looking for his occupation on the SOL or CSOL lists? If you find the ANZCO code and google that, usually there is lots of information on there.

J

Thanks jac2011

The information is very vague. We know where to get my husbands skills assessed, but it is the visa side of things we are confused with.....we have been told different things. We even went the wanted down under show in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago, and could not get any clear answers. We just need to know how long Hubby needs to be in the trade before we appky, and how many years experience does he need in the field?

Im sure someone will come up with the answers lol!

As Jac says, you need to check as to whether your husbands profession is on the list SOL / CSOL lists first of all.

unfortunately as he has no formal trade qualification and hasn't worked in the trade for the last 5 years I wouldn't imagine he would pass a skills assessment.

The sol and CSOL are the keys to learning wheat you need for the skills assessment. On the list next to the occupation name, will be a number code. If you google this code it will bring up what is needed for the skills assessment. However, I do think there are some issues - long time out of occupation and no formal qualifications. As a result I would recomend you speak to a good registered migration agent such as Go Matilda who will be able to advise better.

Thanks you guys..........

we have had advice from a couple of migration agents. They have said it would not be impossible, but would need lots of info to back up hubby's years in the trade, such as portfolio, client testemonials, references, tax reports ( 7 years worth) which at a push, we could probably get our hands on. But because he has only recently gone back into this trade, we are not to sure how long we have to wait again ( 12 months, 24 months? ) before considering applying for skills assessment/visa etc........just want to know our options.......or just to study for something else on the SOL/CSOL list

The sol and CSOL are the keys to learning wheat you need for the skills assessment. On the list next to the occupation name, will be a number code. If you google this code it will bring up what is needed for the skills assessment. However, I do think there are some issues - long time out of occupation and no formal qualifications. As a result I would recomend you speak to a good registered migration agent such as Go Matilda who will be able to advise better.

The info when you google isn't what is needed to pass the skills assessment. It is the MINIMUM required for that job. Normally that is what would get you a temp sponsored visa (457), but the skills assessment is normally a bit harder. This is why some people have no option but to come on a 457 and wait the two years for employer sponsored pr without a skills assessment.

Thank you

Have never even looked at a 457 as an option...............will have a look into that one x

I am not sure Blossom was suggesting it was an option, in fact it is incredibly difficult for anyone in trades to find sponsorship that is required for a 457. I would think particularly hard for your husband as he has not been in the trade recently.

As others have mentioned, it is not the visa but the skills assessment that is likely to be your stumbling block here. Have you had a read about what is required? To be honest, I don't find TRA very user friendly. If you find the same, it might be worth a quick chat with an agent.

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Migration/Pages/Eligibility.aspx

Sorry yes, rupert is right, it is unlikely as a trade you will find a sponsor. It was more the point that the info when you google isn't what you need to pass the skills assessment (and explaining why it is there if not for that reason).

I have emailed tra before and they were very helpful in their replies in basic questions.

Just looked at the 457 and this would not be an option.....i would imagine in the real world, everyone would want this visa!

Might be worth visiting Australia house in London, to seek advice......thank you.....will look at link x

Yes, Alan who I linked to above is from go Matilda. Immigration are notorious for giving out incorrect info I'm afraid. In theory they should be able to answer all your questions, but in practice it doesn't work that way. :-/

Thank you so much.......dont want waste time travelling there if they give incorrect information.....that is shocking!

Think i will get in touch with go matilda......thank you all for your info xxx much appreciated

Archived