UK Plumber / Gas Fitter requires 457 visa sponsorship

Briang84

Hi

I currently reside and work in the UK as a fully qualified plumber and gas fitter. Can someone please give me some advice as to how I can obtain a 457 visa sponsorship and get my skills recognised. Also if someone knows of any companies who can offer 457 visa sponsorship. I have over 10 years experience and would like to utilise these and furthermore progress my career in Australia. Current qualifications are as follows.

NVQ level 2 Plumbing Mechanical Services

NVQ level 3 Plumbing Mechanical Services Gas Option

Domestic Natural Gas / LPG

Commercial Natural Gas / LPG

Oftec Oil Servicing and Commissioning

Thanks

Brian

Any reason you are keen on the 457 visa in particular? With a skilled migrant path ahead of you, you are choosing a much harder path in looking for a sponsor and then only have a temporary visa at the end of it. I know you might have very good reasons, but thought it worth checking.

Sorry forgot to say I thought the 457 was the best pathway.

No, most definitely not. Temporary visa restrictions, at the mercy of an employer, possibly 90 days notice to leave the country...

The 457 visa has its place, it is best used for its intended purpose, that is to cover short term employment needs. People trying to migrate on it can come unstuck, as their goals are not aligned with the purpose of the visa.

Have a read about the 189 and 190 visas on http://www.immi.gov.au. If for some reason you believe you would not meet this criteria, then think about a 457, in the full knowledge that it is a harder path to permanent status and a less secure future in the short term.

No, most definitely not. Temporary visa restrictions, at the mercy of an employer, possibly 90 days notice to leave the country...

The 457 visa has its place, it is best used for its intended purpose, that is to cover short term employment needs. People trying to migrate on it can come unstuck, as their goals are not aligned with the purpose of the visa.

Have a read about the 189 and 190 visas on http://www.immi.gov.au. If for some reason you believe you would not meet this criteria, then think about a 457, in the full knowledge that it is a harder path to permanent status and a less secure future in the short term.

Thanks alot for the advice ill look into it. I think the 189 would be my best option.

No company will sponsor you before you come over as a plumber, it's almost un heard of over here, plumbing is a lot diffrent over here to back home, however don't give up hope, if I where you i would come over on a WHV and get your head down and stick in at a company and they will possibly sponsor you. My company sponsor uk plumbers and will be looking for more employees soon. I wish I had of done that, would of saved myself about 10,000 on my 189. Never mind I'm here now :)

No company will sponsor you before you come over as a plumber, it's almost un heard of over here, plumbing is a lot diffrent over here to back home, however don't give up hope, if I where you i would come over on a WHV and get your head down and stick in at a company and they will possibly sponsor you. My company sponsor uk plumbers and will be looking for more employees soon. I wish I had of done that, would of saved myself about 10,000 on my 189. Never mind I'm here now :)

Thanks alot for the information. I cannot come over on a whv as I have a child which is a frustrating part of the whv. Im coming over on holiday to Melbourne in December. Can you keep me informed if there are any jobs come up with your company. Also which area are you in? Thanks

Be very wary of even attempting the 457 route, especially with a family. If you lose your job on a 457 you only have 90 days to find another sponsor or leave the country. Also, occupations can come off the list at any time and it happens regularly. I have seen a lot of people start on a 457 with the intent of later gaining PR only to find their occupation is removed and they are no longer eligible.

Be very wary of even attempting the 457 route, especially with a family. If you lose your job on a 457 you only have 90 days to find another sponsor or leave the country. Also, occupations can come off the list at any time and it happens regularly. I have seen a lot of people start on a 457 with the intent of later gaining PR only to find their occupation is removed and they are no longer eligible.

Thanks for the information Its made things alot clearer. I think PR will probably be the best option for me.

I live in Sydney! If you do decide to come over get in touch. My boss is always looking for new employees

Thats great thanks alot. Do you have to pay school fees in Sydney as we've got a 6 year old? Also was £10000 just for yourself or a family. Did you apply for for your visa with the marsa if so would you recommend this? Did you have a job organised prior to moving to Sydney? Sorry about all the questions

Thanks

Im not sure on school fees as i dont have a child, i used a agent called Go Matilda, and the £10,000 was for myself and my girlfriend and the fees etc. No i managed to find a job within days of landing, plenty of work in Sydney, just act confident and call the job vacancies ( they dont respond much to emails etc )

Im not sure on school fees as i dont have a child, i used a agent called Go Matilda, and the £10,000 was for myself and my girlfriend and the fees etc. No i managed to find a job within days of landing, plenty of work in Sydney, just act confident and call the job vacancies ( they dont respond much to emails etc )

Cheers for the info. How did you get your UK qualifications recognised did you have to go to TAFE college?

No, you only need a liscence to work un supervised, none of the plumbers on my site have a liscence they are just time served tradesman. Only our main foreman has a liscence. You don't necessarily need to have a liscene before starting work.

No, you only need a liscence to work un supervised, none of the plumbers on my site have a liscence they are just time served tradesman. Only our main foreman has a liscence. You don't necessarily need to have a liscene before starting work.

Thats good news i thought it was going to cost thousands on licensing. If you dont mind me asking whats a typical hourly rate for a plumber / gas fitter I keep seeing jobs advertised around 35 dollars an hour?

About $33 in Sydney

Thanks, wages sound good. I here the cost of living is higher in aus? Do the wages still work out better than the uk? Also is it a 40 hour week? You said plumbing is different out here in what way? Is it just different regulations, test procedures etc

Archived