Questions re parents visa - please

Guest Vixenpops

Guest Vixenpops

Does anyone know the answer to the following Q's please (the change to remove the parent visa in the budget has floored me and I am having to look at alternate options now)

Does the tourist visa 600 have a no further stay clause normally if its granted for a 12 month visit?

Does the normal 3 month visit visa have a no further stay clause

If you apply for the 884 and then convert to the 864 (to give you time to save) do you need to do two sets of medicals and 2 sets of criminal checks

If you apply for the 884 and then convert to the 864 at what point do you need to put down the assurance of support

Finally when it comes to the second instalment for the 884 and the 864 does that come when the visa is ready for granting i.e. 12-24 months after you apply?

Does anyone know if the removal of the parent visa needs any legal hearings or to go through any consultation or if the minister can just go ahead and grant this after the budget? any ideas on timelines if thats the case?

I am shocked and reeling having moved out here with the understanding this visa was available for the foreseeable future

Just to stay on my soapbox for 2 minutes - Last year they added a 5 year visa with 12 month stays to the tourist visa for parents of Oz citizens and PRs to recognise the importance parents play in the lives of their children and grandchildren??? Then 1 year later if you aren't rich they are important any more???

Ok off the soapbox I understand the reasons why I just would have thought some notice would be good - some people like me have made life changing decisions based of this information provided and now have to live with the consequences :(((

Gutted truly gutted

I will try and answer some of your questions, although we applied for the 173 and then the 143 as we were under 65, but I would imagine it's similar.

With regard to the 'No Further Stay' condition, I am not sure, but I think it is up to DIBC as to whether they impose this condition on the visa.

I don't think the ETA normally has this condition on it.

You don't actually 'convert' to the permanent visa. It's a new visa application. However, the parent normally does not need to redo the medicals, although they may need to submit an Australian police check if they have been in Australia for at least 12 months. This also includes time spent on visits.

The AOS is only required for the permanent visa and not the temporary. So you would apply for the permanent visa, and then wait for DIBC to request that you arrange the AOS. In our case it took about 5 months after application for them to request it and it took Centrelink about 10 weeks to sort it out, but they were particularly slow. The normally quote 4-6 months for the whole process.

As I said you apply for the temporary visa first and will pay a portion of the high second VAC. You need to apply for the permanent visa within 2 years and then you pay the AOS and when that is sorted they will request the remainder of the large second VAC, at the rate that is in force at the time of application. The exact current fees are here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/fees-charges/_pdf/visa-pricing-table.pdf somewhere around page 23 I think, you do need to plough through it.

Don't know whether it is yet to be approved, but I think DIBC pretty much do as they like. It seems pretty certain it's going ahead, the only question is when they will stop accepting new applications.

Hope this helps.

Archived