Prospective marriage visa

Chloe Emerson

I applied for my visa at the start of April. I was told the date of lodgement was the 16th of April. I was wondering when I would hear from my case officer, I have already done my medical and police checks. So is it just a matter of waiting for an email from them. Any help would be great

Yeah I know my fiancee is always complaining about the timescale and the fact they don't allow us much time in country to get everything organised.

I hadn't heard anything until last month when I asked my CO if there was anything else that was required. But that's it. Apparently that's normal

I'm hearing on here that it's taking around 8 months. This is why I'm going out on a tourist visa on 3 July even if I haven't heard about the visa. Everyone says to be patient but sometimes that's hard. What we have to remember is that all the wait is worth it. And when the time comes for you to go and you're there in your fiance's arms you won't remember all the waiting, just the now.. Hope it all works out for you

Well 8 months is better than 9. I know it will be so worth it in the end that's what you got to keep thinking. I got back from aus in November last year. I can't go over again till I get my visa as saving money for our wedding. I hope all works out for you too.

• 4 months later...

Hi Chloe,

im not sure how to send you a msg or start a thread, I'm new on here and I seem to be in the same boat as you, my fiancé is australian and I lived there for 3 years (I met him on my second week there) and was told that the fiancé visa was our only option, (we didn't live together) so we geared up for 5 months apart, (Aus.gov web site stated 5 months) only to be told when I applied back in uk that it's 8-9 months!! This takes me up until march next year. :( I was wondering if you knew if 1. I can go back early on a tourist visa 2. Who your CO is (mine is KP) and 3. If you need to buy a return ticket. (I'm hoping to go back in jan and wait for fiancé visa to come through hopefully mid feb/early march.

I haven't used a migration expert (!) so I'm a bit in the dark with things. My heart drops every time I hear anything about visas because I am so nervous that something will go wrong! I haven't heard anything back from my CO since he contacted me in June when I applied! Is this normal? Sorry for going on!

Hi you can go over on a tourist visa before your pmv is granted. Make sure you inform your co tho if your going to do this as you don't want a tourist visa being granted after your pmv as it cancels it out. I've chosen just to wait here till my grant because the cost of going offshore for the grant. Need the money for my wedding. I know I was gutted when I was told 8-9 as I thought it was 6. But we are lucky really as new processing times for new applicants is 10-14 months!!! My co is WP. You don't need to buy a return ticket. If your asked just explain your situation.

It is normal not to here from your co they will only contact you if they need something. I didn't use an agent either. I don't think you really need one unless your situation is a bit complicated. It is so stressful not hearing anything. The time does go quickly, mines been in 6 months nearly. Cannot wait to get back to aus.

Hi you can go over on a tourist visa before your pmv is granted. Make sure you inform your co tho if your going to do this as you don't want a tourist visa being granted after your pmv as it cancels it out. I've chosen just to wait here till my grant because the cost of going offshore for the grant. Need the money for my wedding. I know I was gutted when I was told 8-9 as I thought it was 6. But we are lucky really as new processing times for new applicants is 10-14 months!!! My co is WP. You don't need to buy a return ticket. If your asked just explain your situation.

It is normal not to here from your co they will only contact you if they need something. I didn't use an agent either. I don't think you really need one unless your situation is a bit complicated. It is so stressful not hearing anything. The time does go quickly, mines been in 6 months nearly. Cannot wait to get back to aus.

Thanks Chloe! That's a weight off my mind! It's v worrying not hearing anything but I guess no news is good news and all that! Yeah the time goes quite quickly I guess, it's been about 4 months since I've applied so not quite half way through yet! Waaaah!! :(

thanks again, keep me updated! Best of luck :D

Thanks! Yeah I have gotten most of my information from the lovely lot on here. Migration experts all have conflicting advice! Moving back to perth, you? I can't wait. So nice being home with my family And all but I miss the heat ! (And my fiancé! ) once approved we have working rights on the fiancé visa don't we? I'll need a job to pay for my wedding!! (Having an oz and uk one!) when's your wedding?

Hi guys, I'm in the same situation. Sent visa off on thursday and according to royal mail it was received the next day. How do you know when it has officially been lodged?

I've been reading a lot on this visa and it sounds like at the moment it is taking a lot longer for people who have lodged in the past month or so - closer to 12months processing :(

When did you send your police check and medicals?

Hi guys, I'm in the same situation. Sent visa off on thursday and according to royal mail it was received the next day. How do you know when it has officially been lodged?

I've been reading a lot on this visa and it sounds like at the moment it is taking a lot longer for people who have lodged in the past month or so - closer to 12months processing :(

When did you send your police check and medicals?

i sent my medical and police check with my application. I know you can't do that now because of increased waiting times. The clock is ticking from when they receive your application.

New applicant processing times are 10-14 months

Hello, they contact you to say they've received it and who your CO is, I got a letter with processing times and asking for a letter from the celebrant. (I had just put a NOIM in there which isn't sufficient apparently!) I had my police check and medical already in there, but like Chloe says, medicals are only valid for a year so I'd wait until they request them from you. Good luck! Hopefully you will hear something soon! :)

I had to change my wedding date as I thought processing times where 5 months when I applied. Then was told 8-9. So my co requested a new celebant letter with my new wedding date on. Your co will contact you via email. I've planned most of my wedding as it's in April and I'm moving in January. I'm lucky cos my celebant is my mother in law so she's helped me plan loads. It is hard planning a wedding from so far.

Did you pick a venue while you were there? I can't go back before my visa is granted - due to work and uni - so I'm stuck trying to decide if I should get someone else to look at places on my behalf or leave it 'til I move over. It's looking likely we'll have to push things back to 2016 :(

• 2 months later...

Archived