BT Openreach Engineer

First post on the board guys.

I'm currently working as a customer service engineer for BT openreach in Scotland. My job involves installing and repairing telephone/broadband lines in the underground and overhead copper network. I joined the company in 2009 and completed my apprenticeship in 2012.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the job situation is like in Australia for a telephone engineer. I've looked at the SOL and a "Telecommunications Field Engineer" is included but I cannot seem to find any jobs matching my skillset on job websites such as seek.com ?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Danny

Hi,

Bit of info for you that I know, as my OH is also an Openreach engineer in the UK. Unfortunately, BT don't give you any formal qualifications which means that your skills won't be recognised in Oz unless you are able to successfully get your skills assessed and recognised by VETASSESS I think it is. Your other option is to complete an Oz Telecommunications Certificate III once you get to Oz - not sure if you can do this from the UK but would be worth looking into.

A lot of the engineers in Oz also do mobile telecoms, which is different to the UK as Openreach engineers don't do the mobile network..this is why the job descriptions aren't the same.

We are moving over to Oz at the end of August as we are lucky enough to have had my skills recognised so we now have a Permanent Residency visa for WA (can't wait!), so I will keep you informed as I think its going to be easier to check on demand for telecoms guys once there.

Hi Zoe,

Thanks for that information, I'll definitley be looking into getting that telecommunication certificate. Great news on getting your permanent residency and best of luck to you both when you make the move over in August. That would be fantastic if you could keep me posted on the job situation and the demand for openreach guys in oz. Found it really hard to find anything on the web regarding openreach engineers finding work in Australia.

Thanks again !!

Danny

• 6 years later...

Hi Zoe & Danny,

Just wondering if either of you have any further information regarding how you/OH got on with sorting work out in Australia. 

We are heading over towards the end of the year and OH is a fibre optic engineer installing commercial fibre and has also copper experience all with BT/Openreach.
Even 6 years after you guys posted we are still finding it difficult to get information about work prospects so any information would be massively appreciated. 
Thanks in advance! 

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give an update as to how they got on with making the move. I’m a trainee Openreach engineer working as a cabler and interested in making the move. My experience is in fibre. I’m waiting for a date to complete my final assessments which if I pass will give me a level 2 NVQ in telecommunications. Wondering if that if recognised in Australia. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

16 hours ago, Jcsj said:

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give an update as to how they got on with making the move. I’m a trainee Openreach engineer working as a cabler and interested in making the move. My experience is in fibre. I’m waiting for a date to complete my final assessments which if I pass will give me a level 2 NVQ in telecommunications. Wondering if that if recognised in Australia. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

You will need at least a couple of years experience. Most trades require NVQ3.