options after a student visa

littlesarah53

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking at options to go to Australia and am looking at a course as a dental technician. This is on the Sol and is a 2 year course so I am hoping I will be able to stay and work after that. Can anyone tell me what are my options ?

Also my partner will be coming with me - if he is able to find an employer willing to sponsor him can he apply for the 457 visa ?

Thanks for any replies.

To be sponsored for a 457 visa he would need a job on the sol or csol. If he has that you would be FAR better off applying for pr straight off. Then you would only pay domestic fees for your course.

As to if you would get to stay after the course on it's own, I would count on not being able to. Last year they changed one of the employer sponsorship visas to need 3 years post qualification experience. I wouldn't be surprised if the same came in for the 457 before the two years are up.

They have been closing every door for international students for years, one at a time. I speak as someone who came on a student visa and very nearly had to leave. Many people have had to.

Thanks Blossom, the problem is being in the Uk it is very difficult to find an employer willing to sponsor us. It will be far easier once we are in Australia, and the student visa would be a way in, and a way for us to work legally albeit only for 20 hours a week.Both of our current jobs are on the csol, and I have actually approached my previous employer in WA and asked them to sponsor me - they initially said yes, but after looking into it do not meet the training requirements to become approved as business sponsors, so I am looking at any alternative, even re training in a different field but it appears that will not lead anywhere either.

Thanks Blossom, the problem is being in the Uk it is very difficult to find an employer willing to sponsor us. It will be far easier once we are in Australia, and the student visa would be a way in, and a way for us to work legally albeit only for 20 hours a week.Both of our current jobs are on the csol, and I have actually approached my previous employer in WA and asked them to sponsor me - they initially said yes, but after looking into it do not meet the training requirements to become approved as business sponsors, so I am looking at any alternative, even re training in a different field but it appears that will not lead anywhere either.

It is very difficult for anyone to find a willing employer sponsor, I think Blossom was suggesting that if you are in jobs on the CSOL you would be better looking into skilled migration. Have you done this already and found a stumbling block?

I haved looked into skilled migration, but because our occupations are not on the sol just the csol we cannot apply for an independant visa, only employer nominated or regional. And so far I have only found my job on the list for ACT and Northern Territory. ACT are currently not accepting anymore applications until July 1st and for the Northern Territory you have to have a job offer.

If you come on a student visa and your partner finds an employer who is willing to sponsor for the rsms visa it will get refused. A few people on the rsms timelines have had this as their is some stupid clause hidden somewhere that if one a student visa you must be the visa holder and have finished the course.

As I said, it's getting WAY harder to stay each and every year. For the rsms you now need three years post qualification work after studying here, which lots of people can't get.

Many people still couldn't find sponsors even living here for two years (plus 18 months if they got the 485 and had to leave).

Currently the 457 is an option, but there is no guarantee it still will be when you are looking to stay. We were a week off being able to apply for pr and they changed it all. The price went up by over $4000 for the skills assessment and it ended up taking us an extra three years. We wouldn't have been able to have those three years the way it works now.

I would NEVER recommend coming out on a student visa if you are hoping to make your life here.

Personally I'd wait and see what happens with the lists in July. Even if you have to live in another state for two years, at least you know you can stay.

I would NEVER recommend coming out on a student visa if you are hoping to make your life here

Me either.

There is no shortage of education agents who will sign a student up for a pointless course of study and not charge; they take commissions from course providers.

I suggest that if you propose to undertake a course of study to enhance your visa prospects, you should keep the following in mind.

Under the current regulations:

1. to be granted 15 points for an academic qualification, it must at degree level

2. to qualify for a 485 visa a qualification must satisfy the Australian Study Requirement (5 points) and must be relevant to the nominated skilled occupation

3. studies in a regional campus (as defined) attract a further 5 points. How many course providers or their agents will place more weight on a student's 5 points than their fees?

4. in most cases it is better and far less costly to complete a qualification at home rather than in Australia

5. before you commit to a course of action, run your case past a registered migration agent, try to find one with a crystal ball who knows what the rules will be in a few years

Archived