Car problems

littledoo

My Honda Civiv 2012 has just been serviced and I was advised it needs rear brake pads at the bargain cost of $600. The car has done just under 30k and my understanding was that the front always went before the rear.

On googling it, it would appear Honda USA were sued for this common problem but Australia are not replacing these under warranty.

Anyone has this problem or any advice?

oh and if anyone knows a cheap, honest and reliable mechanic in the Hills NSW, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Claire

Guest Guest66881

Not living in your area but mobile mechanics generally are cheaper, not really that hard a job for a general DIYist either.

Guest Guest66881

Like i said i live over West so can't really help with recommendations but just hope the bump pulls some others in to help you out.

My Honda Civiv 2012 has just been serviced and I was advised it needs rear brake pads at the bargain cost of $600. The car has done just under 30k and my understanding was that the front always went before the rear.

On googling it, it would appear Honda USA were sued for this common problem but Australia are not replacing these under warranty.

Anyone has this problem or any advice?

oh and if anyone knows a cheap, honest and reliable mechanic in the Hills NSW, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Claire

OK.....first up as it is a 2012 Civic it is still in it's warranty period (not that that matters in this case)......,whatever you do do DO NOT take it back to the dealer for any servicing....they will rip you off. By rear brake pads......do you mean just brake pads or pads and rotors ????.......if it is just pads then these can be bought from say Supercheap auto for around $60. It is most unusual for rear pads to wear out before front pads.

Find yourself a private mechanic or go to somewhere like "Ultratune" or something similar. They will be much cheaper and they will do the required servicing, stamp and sign your logbook and your warranty will still be good.....only take your car back to the dealer if it involves warranty work. If the car requires rear rotors do not get genuine Honda ones.....they will be a rip off.......buy them yourself or get your mechanic to get them from Rotor and Drums Australia

http://www.rdabrakes.com.au/

I use this company myself and have put their rotors and EBC pads on my 911.....for a fraction of the price of OEM parts.

Another company is DBA http://www.dba.com.au/ their products are available at Supercheap and Autobarn.

Primarily find yourself a mechanic...don't use the dealer....hope this helps @littledoo

Edited by Sir Les Patterson

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice.

The car was serviced at Ultratune and they said that brake pads were worn down and rotors needed replaced. They quoted $595 for this. I managed to get a local mobile mechanic that said he could do it for $500. That sounded better! He came out today with Bentex parts and neb w discs, however I have been told that my model of car is not suitable for any other brake parts than from Hond, or rather there is no cheaper equivilant on the market. He showed me Bentex parts books and my pads and I could see that they do not have the exact type I need. He managed to get the rotors machined rather than replaced but unfortunately re the pads I could not get them from anywhere other than Honda.

Does this sound right? obviously a bit late for going elsewhere but I would prefer to know if i've been ripped off.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Thanks for all your advice.

The car was serviced at Ultratune and they said that brake pads were worn down and rotors needed replaced. They quoted $595 for this. I managed to get a local mobile mechanic that said he could do it for $500. That sounded better! He came out today with Bentex parts and neb w discs, however I have been told that my model of car is not suitable for any other brake parts than from Hond, or rather there is no cheaper equivilant on the market. He showed me Bentex parts books and my pads and I could see that they do not have the exact type I need. He managed to get the rotors machined rather than replaced but unfortunately re the pads I could not get them from anywhere other than Honda.

Does this sound right? obviously a bit late for going elsewhere but I would prefer to know if i've been ripped off.

Thanks again

At under 30K this doesn't sound right. I would be surprised if the rear break pads need replacing, let alone the rotors. Are you experiencing any vibration or feedback through the pedal when you brake? If not I would take the car somewhere else for a second opinion. It sounds like they are trying to rip you off to me.

I had a novated lease X-Trail that got serviced at Nissan while it was on the lease. They had to ring me before any work could be undertaken. They rang me during it's 50,000m service and told me the front rotors needed replacing. I told them not to do it and got a local garage to check them out. They told me the disks needed replacing but the rotors were fine.

Now I own it I do all the servicing myself. The car has done nearly 200,000km now and I've just replaced the front pads and checked the rear ones. It cost me $80 for a new set of front pads and it's not a hard job to do at all. Rear ones were OK. I didn't even have a manual, you can work out what needs to be removed and there are loads of free forums on line. Check google for a honda civic forum and I'll bet someone has posted up how to check and change rotors and pads, most times with easy to follow pictures.

Basically it's jack the car up (trolley jack helps) remove the wheels, remove a couple of bolts and the brake caliper usually hinges one way or the other. Slide out the old pads, push the pistons in the calipers back, insert the new pads, re-assemble everything you took out, test run, jobs done.

It's a nice feeling of satisfaction doing these jobs yourself too. Brakes are what the garages call a major service these days. Changing oil, filter and maybe spark plugs would be all you get for a normal service. They charge like a wounded bull.

It would be very unusual that your brake discs wear out on the rear at 30k unless you constantly driving in muddy conditions. Most likely that your rear brake calipers are partially seized or the hand brake is binding. And you will probably need a wind back tool to wind back the pistons in the rear calipers due to hand brake incorporated into rear calipers.

Guest Trolleybus
At under 30K this doesn't sound right. I would be surprised if the rear break pads need replacing, let alone the rotors. Are you experiencing any vibration or feedback through the pedal when you brake? If not I would take the car somewhere else for a second opinion. It sounds like they are trying to rip you off to me.

I had a novated lease X-Trail that got serviced at Nissan while it was on the lease. They had to ring me before any work could be undertaken. They rang me during it's 50,000m service and told me the front rotors needed replacing. I told them not to do it and got a local garage to check them out. They told me the disks needed replacing but the rotors were fine.

Now I own it I do all the servicing myself. The car has done nearly 200,000km now and I've just replaced the front pads and checked the rear ones. It cost me $80 for a new set of front pads and it's not a hard job to do at all. Rear ones were OK. I didn't even have a manual, you can work out what needs to be removed and there are loads of free forums on line. Check google for a honda civic forum and I'll bet someone has posted up how to check and change rotors and pads, most times with easy to follow pictures.

Basically it's jack the car up (trolley jack helps) remove the wheels, remove a couple of bolts and the brake caliper usually hinges one way or the other. Slide out the old pads, push the pistons in the calipers back, insert the new pads, re-assemble everything you took out, test run, jobs done.

It's a nice feeling of satisfaction doing these jobs yourself too. Brakes are what the garages call a major service these days. Changing oil, filter and maybe spark plugs would be all you get for a normal service. They charge like a wounded bull.

Hope you did a rotor thickness check before fitting new pads? There is a min legal thickness stamped on them.

Hope you did a rotor thickness check before fitting new pads? There is a min legal thickness stamped on them.

Mate when you look after your own car you look to save money. I had a look at the rotors, they weren't getting hot and I'm not getting any vibration or brake fade so they are good enough. I maintained my own cars in the UK for years and we used to run them on a shoestring. If you have an MOT to get them through every year you have to make a bit of an effort though.

Compared to some of the cars I had there the X-Trail is a rolls royce.