Making VoIP calls abroad

Guest wales26

Guest wales26

I would like to be able to use a VoIP service (that has free long distance) to make long distance calls using my cell phone to my Mom's landline in the Philippines. I'm just not sure of all the things I should try and would really appreciate some help. Thank you!

you should research voip providers in the country you want to phone.

in your case find a provider in the philippines, register for their service. buy a voipfone or voip box/router, plug into a wired broadband connection, and off you go!

cell phone based voip is scetchy at best, we used our voip service this way when we first arrived, and found the only way to get a good connection (to the uk) was to drive to a servo, or another place with a mobile service and very few people.

as soon as the mobile masts become busy, you will have sound break up or total loss of the call.

if you connect to a wired or wifi based connection though, all is good. we chat to the uk like we're there no problems at all.

the other huge benefit of using a provider in the country you wish to call is that you can rent a phone number there for a small fee.

you would have a number in the philippines, a normal residential number, that would connect directly to your Australia phone for free.

your mom could call you for the same cost as calling a neighbour, and your calls to her would be super cheap too.

just had a quick google...... http://dialervoip.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/which-voip-provider-serves-best-in-the-philippines/

might be somewhere to start

• 4 weeks later...
Guest wales26

Hi Very stormy, I have Skype on my phone. But I guess the connection and voice quality depends on the location. My Mom lives outside the city right now along with my Dad and there's no internet connection as of the moment. They said it will take a couple of months to get the installation in our place. The best way is to call them through landline. FLYBYKNIGHT, thanks for link. I'll check it later. Oh, by the way, have you heard about Rebtel & Global call app.? Cause I saw it on my Google Play. Just curious if these apps. Is way better than Skype or Viber in terms of making calls abroad (connection and voice quality).

Archived