Part time hours, am l eligible for State Sponsorship?

Jules RT

Hi all,

I'm panicking here slightly, having now read the Skilled State Sponsorship requirements for Queensland I'm unsure if I meet the work experience criteria...

- have at least two years full time work experience in your nominated skilled occupation...

I am a Medical Radiation Therapist, l have a Bachelors degree, & I've been qualified for 7 years. But I've only worked part time, 30 hours for 4 years and 22.5 hours for the last 3 years, as I was raising a family. Will I still be able to apply?

Hopefully someone can answer my question.

Thanks in advance,

jules

Hi Rupert,

I sent off my skills assessment about 6 weeks ago.

Do you think I'm on a non started for emigrating to OZ, either on a 190 or 189 visa?

Jules

Lets see what happens with the skills assessment then, did it ask for evidence of work experience?

I wouldn't give up yet, I would certainly apply and see what happens if you get positive skills assessment. Do you definitely need state sponsorship anyway?

Yes it did, but it didn't say I had to be full time, I just had to provide what hours l worked part time.

I was only going for state sponsorship to Queensland as this is where we would like to live and it says it's a quicker process?!

Hi,

I am currently waiting for my skill assessment for either a 189 or a 190 visa, but it looks like l could be entitled to apply for the 461 visa if all else fails as my husband is a kiwi. The only problem is it would be temporary and as we also have children, I think we will have to pay for their schooling. Do you also need private medical insurance or are you covered on Medicare?

Jules

Yes it did, but it didn't say I had to be full time, I just had to provide what hours l worked part time.

I was only going for state sponsorship to Queensland as this is where we would like to live and it says it's a quicker process?!

No not really much quicker to go with state sponsorship. You might get the invite sooner, but then you have another step in the process to follow in getting the state sponsorship. If you don't need it for points or because your job is only on the CSOL, I wouldn't even bother.

Hi,

I am currently waiting for my skill assessment for either a 189 or a 190 visa, but it looks like l could be entitled to apply for the 461 visa if all else fails as my husband is a kiwi. The only problem is it would be temporary and as we also have children, I think we will have to pay for their schooling. Do you also need private medical insurance or are you covered on Medicare?

Jules

Your children are presumably New Zealand citizens though if they were born outside NZ, you'll need to apply for citizenship by descent for them if you haven't already done so. As Kiwis, they would be eligible for government supported schooling and full Medicare cover. For you though, a condition of a 461 visa is that the holder has private health insurance - you will not be eligible for Medicare.

Even if you start with a 461, keep working on the 189/190 and include your husband and children as secondary applicants. Being an 'official' PR in immigration and Centrelink terms is much better than a 461 or living in Australia as a Kiwi on a SCV. Kiwis can live and work here permanently, but they never become eligible for PR or citizenship unless they qualify for a permanent visa in the same way as citizens of any other country - your permanent visa gives them a pathway to citizenship that may not otherwise be available.

Archived