Budget-friendly suburbs

Kymmbo

Apologies for posting another 'which suburb is best' thread but would love some advice!

My partner and I lived and worked in Sydney for a couple of years, been back in the UK for 5 years now but hoping to emigrate next year on a permanent visa. We lived in apartments in Kings Cross before and loved it but now have a 2-year old in tow, so priorities change!

Looking for advice on family friendly suburbs to rent in that won't break the bank. We will probably only have my income as a nurse to begin with so really have quite a tight budget, but don't want to end up in a really dodgy suburb! I know Sydney is expensive but there must be others in our position, with a pretty tight budget. Sutherlandshire seems to crop up lots on the threads but think this is maybe out of our reach...And don't want to head too far west...

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated! :cute:

The cheaper bits of the Shire or around the "North West Growth Centre" (Rouse Hill, the Ponds etc) is where I'd start. There are big new areas being developed in the South West as well, around Leppington (rail link being opened next year)

If those are too far flung for you (it would be for me) then I'd maybe re-evaluate the possibilities of a flat or townhouse, this would enable you to live much closer in to the city. Could be anywhere really if you're prepared to sacrifice space for location. That's what I would do, but YMMV

As ever, what is a "tight budget" means many different things to different people

Have you considered Marrickville? Seems to be one of the cheaper inner west suburbs, probs because it's just beyond that magical 5km radius from the CBD. Lots of infrastructure so isn't dull, lots of young families and things going on for kiddies as well as younger people without kids in their late 20s / early 30s, no pretensions of grandeur, interestingly diverse community (I love how the elderly Greek men seem to spend hours hanging out together in the food court at Marrickville Metro chatting (about what? their wives?), near to everything going on in Enmore and Newtown, good public transport links to the city etc...

Haven't actually considered Marrickville, although I loved the whole Newtown vibe when I was over previously. Definitely going to look into that more as your description sounds exactly what I'm after!

Thanks for your comment :)

I live in Leichhardt, and the old men in the supermarket are Italian, lol, seem to be their always , reading their Italian newspapers... Are their wives always in the supermarket? Lol

I adore LEichhardt, however the caveat is I can only currently afford to rent. 700 pw for a dodgy 3 bed. However the local state school is absolutely fantastic. We have been here two years, and cannot leave the house with my Miss 3 or mIss 5 saying hello to someone they know . The bank teller this week called me by my first name at the coffee shop....q

i am a huge thumbs up for Leichhardt.

Sorry I don't know the area very well, I've only been there once. I thought it was a bit scruffy, and the beach (which has no surf) was spoilt by being across from an industrial oil refinery - bit of an eye sore. Good views of planes ... If you're a plane spotter! I would imagine that it's relatively affordable though. Maybe someone else can give you a better response.

Hi ,

Anyone know what Brighton Le Sands is like and how public transport is to get into Sydney ?

There are no train stations, only buses. Check this out from Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton-Le-Sands,_New_South_Wales

I don't live far from there and yes it does have a beach but right next to a very busy road. There are a lot of boy racers around there, Friday and Saturday nights are extremely busy. Lots of restaurants and bars around, it does have something of a unsavory look to it but I've only spent a few Saturday nights there (dining out).

There are no train stations, only buses. Check this out from Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton-Le-Sands,_New_South_Wales

I don't live far from there and yes it does have a beach but right next to a very busy road. There are a lot of boy racers around there, Friday and Saturday nights are extremely busy. Lots of restaurants and bars around, it does have something of a unsavory look to it but I've only spent a few Saturday nights there (dining out).[/QUOT

Hi Both,

Thanks for the comments , can you or anyone tell me is it safe to wander around during the day and at nightime with a family, we are looking at it for an initial basis till we establish ourselves in NSW from the end of June 2014 onwards for a few months ??

Cheers

I was there recently (Palace cinema). What's happening with the Italian Forum? It's always empty / dead. Seems a shame. Maybe the rent's just too high for small businesses?

Yep, it is a shame. Many empty shops and frequently changing hands. The forum should be bustling!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lisaoh

Hi I've recently moved to sutherlandshire we live near engadine it's beautiful...right by the national park ..30 minutes from the beach..good family area..we have a 4 bed house with a pool for 750 a week..still a lot but much cheaper than a lot of areas. my children go to primary and high school here which are excellent school

Archived