We've just bought a house!

There are but usually on the houses that will most likely get developed. You know, 21 metres frontage, build 3 worm houses on it sort of thing. You get some homes go under the hammer but not so many.

Time wise, we learnt which type of properties would get snapped up and which would take longer. There was a price range that potential landlords seemed to like and we avoided the types of houses that attracted those offers. Once we looked over a certain price range you could see there was less interest but still as serious.

I can see what you mean about having an "older" feel to it snifter. Those chairs look like something my Mum and Dad have and they're in their late 80's and 90's. It's lovely inside though, nice and bright with a gorgeous looking kitchen. Personally I like the neutral decor, even the old looking lampshades seem to go with the rest of the house and the fireplace.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm the other way round, hate the auction system. Love watching the shows on them though. It's like a feeding frenzy, never get my head around everyone clapping when the hammer goes down, usually I'm thinking poor sod just paid over the odds for that one.:yes:

Loathe auctions with an intense passion. As you say a frenzy and sometimes" helped" along to achieve maximum vendor advantage. Thankfully still rare in WA.

There are but usually on the houses that will most likely get developed. You know, 21 metres frontage, build 3 worm houses on it sort of thing. You get some homes go under the hammer but not so many.

Time wise, we learnt which type of properties would get snapped up and which would take longer. There was a price range that potential landlords seemed to like and we avoided the types of houses that attracted those offers. Once we looked over a certain price range you could see there was less interest but still as serious.

Exactly. After a certain price yield to low to buy to rent, so only serious home owners likely to be in the running. Good luck in your new house by the way. May you have many happy memories there.

I'm the other way round, hate the auction system. Love watching the shows on them though. It's like a feeding frenzy, never get my head around everyone clapping when the hammer goes down, usually I'm thinking poor sod just paid over the odds for that one.:yes:

Loathe auctions too, attended a few when I was buying recently and hated the whole charade. To the point where I told agents when looking that if the owner was definitely taking it to auction (and not considering offers prior) then I wasn't interested. I would say 95% of established property in Sydney is marketed for auction but in most cases they'll take offers beforehand, but it does depend on your area. Where we live you can get away with the stance I took, in the Inner West it's tough luck, auction or nothing....

Guest Guest16631

.......it's beautiful snifter......

.......personally I love the older feel.....

......it's the memories of older homes from the uk that I have embellished in my home.....

.......too often....IMO.....is history and character ripped out of older homes......

......hope the memories you make there are all good ones........tink x

I can see what you mean about having an "older" feel to it snifter. Those chairs look like something my Mum and Dad have and they're in their late 80's and 90's. It's lovely inside though, nice and bright with a gorgeous looking kitchen. Personally I like the neutral decor, even the old looking lampshades seem to go with the rest of the house and the fireplace.

Exactly. It's what I said about it. It was what put me off to begin with but so glad I went back a second time and with my list.

The vendors are in their 80's it turns out. Have kept it beautifully and we don't plan to make big changes, just add some colour with decor, perhaps a wooden floor in the family room. Cream wool carpets and kids don't mix well ;)

Congratulations. Are there no auctions in sa then? U get to take ur time put in offers see whats not selling. Much prefer that system

To go a bit further into this for you as it was interesting to me buying here is that if you register an interest (as in take an offer form, leave your contact details and say you will submit one etc) then the agents usually call and inform you that an offer or offers have been put in and you have till X time/date to submit your offer so they can present to the vendor. Then its up to the vendor as to which one they prefer with terms and finances etc. Only one agent we met didn't do this and simply said make an offer asap as he presents them to the vendor when he gets one and they accept or not.

Each time we put in offers we knew then that others had also so it was a bit of a lottery but we also knew we had a bit of time to look over the area more, work out the price we wanted to offer and to feel ok with it. And then if we didn't get it, we were happy as we knew that is the max we would have gone to for it. Each offer we made, apart from on the house we ended up buying, we lost out to higher offers. The vendors went with the cash over the settlement terms. But plenty of vendors here look for good terms also so as not to be forced to sell quickly or to cover themselves to find somewhere or finish building their new house. Our house the owners wanted the buyer to not have property to sell so it swung it for us, even though our offer wasn't the highest. However, we were pretty certain we knew what the offers would be and we put in one for less and got it :)

Its funny but each time hubby and I both agreed on the price (we didn't tell each other beforehand, just wrote what number we were thinking) on the houses. Only one that I liked hubby flat out refused to even consider. And as we viewed so many we started to get a really good idea of what kind of ballpark to be aiming at when thinking of putting in an offer.

Archived