offshore training claim in tax

bwatt99

Having been in the offshore industry in uk for so long and never having to pay for the offshore training,paid by company i was wondering is this something you can claim back in tax,i was told on other courses that they can be claimed back on tax,like white card and msic card all of which i really did not want to be paying for but did to help find work,anyone know about the offshore training?

Also im trying to price as i only need to get a refresher for one day is there only two plcase in w.a.

Not sure about the offshore part, but you can't claim anything for training if you are not already working in a field in Australia which will benefit from the course.

Thats not what I was told you can claim for courses you have done and even tools required for a job even if no longer on them jobs.

Nope, it's all on the ATO website somewhere.

You CAN claim for courses, but only if you were working in a job in that field before the course starts. I believe that is one of the reasons people on student visas (as I was) are not allowed to start working until the course has started. Otherwise we could have claimed against the cost of international fees (believe me, I and many others would have done if we could, I scoured the ATO website). @Alan Collett from go Matilda is the guy to double check with.

Having been in the offshore industry in uk for so long and never having to pay for the offshore training,paid by company i was wondering is this something you can claim back in tax,i was told on other courses that they can be claimed back on tax,like white card and msic card all of which i really did not want to be paying for but did to help find work,anyone know about the offshore training?

Also im trying to price as i only need to get a refresher for one day is there only two plcase in w.a.

No you can't claim for courses just to get yourself "job ready" so to speak.

If you bought tools for a job that you were on at the time of purhase then yes you can claim. Be aware though you dont get the full amount - it is a fairly small percentage. I claimed for a tool of my trade last tax year that was $1200. I think i got about $240

Archived