Student MH Nurses - 3 months requirements...

jac2011

Hi everyone,

Some of you will be aware that I have been trying to get an answer to this question for a very long time. Lorna is a MH nurse in Australia who managed to get ANMAC registration without the 3 months post qualifying experience required for all branches of nursing.

ANMAC seemed oblivious and I think the migration agents and nursing agents who I had queried about this were also unsure about this. I was told the 3 months was a requirement.

I think I have finally got to the bottom of this. It would appear that we do not need the 3 months work experience IF we have an AHPRA verification that states we are a MH Nurse. Of course to get AHPRA registration it takes 4 months to process so by the time you confirm this to ANMAC you have more than the 3 months requirement.... So for me, this is irrelevant. Or so I think...

This is an email response from ANMAC relating to it, so I will leave it to your interpretation. I dont think it will hurry things along for me, which isnt too big a problem but may be useful for others.

If your degree is Mental Health Nursing and not just a Nursing degree and if your AHPRA verification states you’re a Mental Health Nurse then you will not need to supply a professional reference to get the ANZSCO Code (254422 Mental Health).

Kind Regards

Demelza Rowley

Assessor - International Services

Bump

I would assume that would be the case with me as my degree is child health nursing? Only benefit I see from going to APHRA first is not having that awkward conversation with your manager after only 3 months work?

Ahpra do not qualify nurses into specialties. They can only register nurses as RN RM or EN. If you want accreditation then you have post graduate study and join organisation that accredits you such as this one for mental health nurses http://www.acmhn.org.au or http://www.adea.org.au. Ahpra does not and cannot bestow a specialty. In the past with UK nurses they were given RN status with restriction - no spe ialty status. Now they are working under the new law this will be no longer an option. An applicant either makes the RN grade or not.

Ahpra do not qualify nurses into specialties. They can only register nurses as RN RM or EN. If you want accreditation then you have post graduate study and join organisation that accredits you such as this one for mental health nurses www.acmhn.org.au or www.adea.org.au. Ahpra does not and cannot bestow a specialty. In the past with UK nurses they were given RN status with restriction - no spe ialty status. Now they are working under the new law this will be no longer an option. An applicant either makes the RN grade or not.

My qualification is in Mental health and my licence to practise states I can only work in Mental health.

Yes thats the restriction. Thats how it was explained to me when I enquired at Ahpra. They gave restrictions as the applicant was not general educated, and that this is not an option now. Still a waiting game. I keep getting different explanations!

Ahpra still have the explanations of types of notations , mental, health, disability and paediatricts so that is a good sign.

Archived