3 tips on making the move

burlistic

Unlock you iPhone before you move. Orange has been a nightmare since we tranfered to PAYG and then tried to unlock.

Beware of buying a new TV to take out here. The Free view set up can be different and Panasonic TVs are region locked.

Think twice about insuring your container. It costs a lot and if professionally packed your stuff should be okay.

On the last point, if you are insuring I would recommend shopping around and not going with the insurer suggested by or part of your removal company.

I would certainly recommend shopping around. But I found it still came out expensive considering the risk. The insurer I spoke to said they have NEVER lost a container. More likely to be some breakage or water damage. Our stuff arrived safe and sounds and I saved 900 gbp on insurance. The removers at this end did say they have seen some horror stories mind. Mainly when people have packed their own containers poorly.

You don't need to go through your old phone company to unlock an iPhone. You do it all through your computer.

I am afraid you do. The carrier contacts Apple to approve. Have been to many phone shops in Perth, they all say that they are unable to unlock the handset.

Orange are either making it difficult on purpose or are inept. The complications came about because the number was swapped to a PAYG sim and their system thinks my wife has not owned the phone for the required six months. Be warned. Get your phones unlocked before you leave!

I unlocked my iPhone via my computer too. Didn't need to ask my carrier to unlock it. I did buy it in Australia though, so I wonder if the rules are different depending on where you purchased it/where the carrier is based?

Archived